Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Lars George <la...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/01 11:13:19 UTC

HBase Backup Mode

Hi,

I stumbled across this:
hbase-server/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/backup/example/HFileArchiveManager.java

I am wondering what the state of this is. Also, why is this in an
_example_ package, if it is usable code. Should be in `util` or so
instead? If it isn't really used at all or just really an example as
it states, should this be in GitHub instead?

Let me know what you think.

Best,
Lars

Re: HBase Backup Mode

Posted by Jerry He <je...@gmail.com>.
I stumbled across it a long time ago as well.

It was brought in by the very original hfile archiving work (put obsolete
hfiles temperately in archive dir).

Probably it was intended to show, as an example, how to make use of the
archiving work to backup hbase table (with a tracker on zk node of table
names and a new hfile cleaner, etc).

I don't think we should keep it there anymore, particularly after the new
backup work.  We can move it to the hbase-examples if we want to keep it at
all.

Thanks,

Jerry