Posted to cvs@httpd.apache.org by rb...@covalent.net on 2000/05/12 23:05:57 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/build rules.mk

On 12 May 2000 rbb@locus.apache.org wrote:

> rbb         00/05/12 16:56:19
>
>   Modified:    src/build rules.mk
>   Log:
>   We no longer have to -DHAVE_CONFIG_H on the $(CC) line, because the
>   ap_ac_config.h file has been renamed to ap_config.h which is included
>   directly.

The obvious question now is why did I do all of this.  The answer is that
in the last two days, I have had three different people complain that
HAS_GMT_OFF was defined twice in the Apache 2.0 header files.  The reason
for this was that they were compiling Apache modules outside of our build
environment, without apxs, and they weren't defining HAVE_CONFIG_H.

After looking into this, I discovered that with some of the new work Jim
has done, the extra information that was in ap_config.h to support our old
build environment was unnecessary.  Not only unnecessary, it was causing
problems and it was duplicate logic that was only bound to cause more
problems for maintenance down the road.

I accept that this has most likely broken Win32.  For that I am
sorry.  The solution, IMHO, is to set things up the same way we support
Windows builds in APR.  Namely, a ap_config.hw which gets copied to
ap_config.h at the appropriate time in the build process.  Or, the Win32
logic could be added to the latest version of ap_config.h.

Sorry for any inconvenience this causes for anybody, but this cuts out the
final piece of the old build environment, which is only good things.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131