Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Elif Guner <el...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/23 20:43:58 UTC

Security Constraints - Referential/Declarative

Hi,
This is not an important thing but I'd still like to have a clear idea
about it.
I was reading the security constraints on
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/guides/guide-security-declarative-psml.html
I am confused about one thing. First it explained:

Declarative and Referential Constraints

When working with pages and folder resource constraints, a constraint
can be either a declarative constraint or a referential constraint.
Declarative constraints are declared and put to use right in place for
the particular page or folder resource. Where as referential
constraints refer to a constraint declared in a centralized security
constraint resource: the page.security file. Each site or subsite can
have one page.security resource for declaring constraints to be
referenced in any page or folder.

Here, what I understand is that referential constraints are generic
and declarative constraints are more specific (to a page/folder). But
then I read this:

Declarative and Global Constraints

Declarative constraints are declared in the page.security file of the
root of a site. Declarative constraints are referenced in pages and
folders with the security-constraints-ref tag. Global constraints are
also declarative constraints. They are also defined and found in the
page.security file in the root PSML repository. The difference with
global constraints is that they implicitly apply to all folders and
pages within the scope of the page.security file, (i.e. the site).
Note that there can be only one page.security file in a Jetspeed
installation.

I'm a bit confused. Does page.security file have referential or
declarative constraints?

Elif

Re: Security Constraints - Referential/Declarative

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Elif Guner wrote:
> Hi,
> This is not an important thing but I'd still like to have a clear idea
> about it.
> I was reading the security constraints on
> http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/guides/guide-security-declarative-psml.html
>
> I am confused about one thing. First it explained:
>

> I'm a bit confused. Does page.security file have referential or
> declarative constraints?

The constraints are declared in the page.security file.
References to those declarations are made in portal resources (pages,
folders, links). Additionally, you can put constraint declarations
directly in any page, folder or link, although I prefer centralizing the
constraint declarations in one central place.