Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de> on 2003/02/18 15:08:51 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] FOP 0.20.5 Release Candidate 2 available

Hi all,

the second Release Candidate for 0.20.5 is finally available at
http://www.apache.org/dist/xml/fop for downloading and testing.
(New download location - please use a mirror if possible)

It is planed to make the actual release on on february the 28th
if no serious bugs show up.

The changes from the previous release candidate includes some
bugfixes (marker handling, leader with page-citation, Jimi usage
and more) but also the removal of some hyphenation patterns due
to licensing reasons.

Changes since 0.20.4 include:

- Fixed link hotspot positioning
- Fixed multi-threading issues
- Added autoselecting  portrait/landscape on PCL Renderer
- Improved AWT Font-measuring/rendering
- Perfomance tuning
- Added support for CCITT Group 4 encoded TIFF files
- Dynamic JAI support
- Fixed problem with jpegs with icc profile and acrobat reader 5
- Added a fontBaseDir property
- TXTRenderer output encoding
- border-spacing support

For details see CHANGES file:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-fop/CHANGES?rev=1.10.2.50
Please send feedback/bugreports to the mailing list or enter them
in Bugzilla.

Enjoy,
Christian

Re: Hyphenation patterns included in fop-0.20.5rc2

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 19.02.2003 16:47:30 Clay Leeds wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response. Can this information be added to the
> release notes and/or readme?

I'll put it on my todo list if nobody does it before I do.

> I see that en_GB.xml exists but what's the story on what I would assume
> would be called en_US.xml (US English hyphenation patterns file)? Does
> it exist? Is it missing due to licensing issues?

The removal of hyphenation files was exclusively triggered by licence
issues. We don't have an en_US.xml that we're confortble with ATM.

> Also, I've searched for filenames & "text" contents in my fop
> installations (.4 & .5rc2) and I haven't found the hyphenation pattern
> files. Where are they stored?

In the binary distribution they are in the hyph directory of fop.jar (in
"compiled" form). In the source distribution they are under src/hyph as
XML files.

> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > FOP version 0.20.5rc2 contains the following hyphenation files:
> >
> > - en_GB.xml: British English
> > - es.xml: Spanish
> > - fi.xml: Finnish
> > - hu.xml: Hungarian
> > - it.xml: Italian
> > - pl.xml: Polish
> >
> > Christian, I'm most uneasy about hu.xml. It's the only one that IMO
> > doesn't have an explicit statement that the file is in the public domain.
> > The original (?) file I found contained a notice about free distribution,
> > but our file doesn't contain a unambiguous reference to the original
> > file, so I must assume that the copyrights are not entirely clear.
> > Therefore, I am -1 (veto) on keeping that one for the moment. Does
> > anyone disagree?
> FWIW, I would agree. It should be relatively easy for users to download
> the hyphenation files (especially if we provide a list with links! ;-).
> I certainly don't think it's worth the risk to include files with
> questionable licensing issues.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Hyphenation patterns included in fop-0.20.5rc2

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com

Re: Hyphenation patterns included in fop-0.20.5rc2

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

On 18.02.2003 17:51:42 Clay Leeds wrote:
> Esteemed feathery FOPpers,
>
> BTW, congrats & stuff on the release! I just ran it, and it didn't give
> me an error! ;-)
>
> Would you let us know which hyphenation files are included with FOP
> 0.20.5rc2? I think that would be useful information to include in the
> fop-dev & fop-user mailing lists for archival/searching purposes, and
> the only reference to what is included is en_GB. It might also be useful
> to include in the reply, the status of other hyphenation patterns (and
> links if they exist).
>
> I checked out the current installation, and had a tough time finding
> info on Hyphenation. After doing a search on the fop-0.20.5rc2
> directory, I found this file:
>
>    fop-0.20.5rc2\examples\fo\basic\hyphen.fo
>
> Is that example the sum total of the hyphenation stuff in FOP? Or was
> everything removed (Christian indicated "removal of some hyphenation
> patterns")? If it's there, then I couldn't find it. If it's not, then
> the RelNotes should read "most" hyphenation patterns...
>
> Thanks for the great effort! It looks *great*!

Jeremias Maerki

Hyphenation patterns included in fop-0.20.5rc2

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Esteemed feathery FOPpers,

[...]

Web Maestro Clay

--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] FOP 0.20.5 Release Candidate 2 available

Posted by Eduardo Santilli <sa...@sicredi.com.br>.
is it avalible a version of fop that works with rtf?????

Posted by Ralph LaChance <Ra...@compuserve.com>.
At 09:08 AM 2/18/2003, you wrote:
>the second Release Candidate for 0.20.5 is finally available at
>http://www.apache.org/dist/xml/fop for downloading and testing.
>(New download location - please use a mirror if possible)

Cheers, and congratulations all around.
This was a bumpy one (especially for the drivers, I think)

         ' Best,
         -Ralph LaChance

         In theory, there is no difference between
         theory and practice, but in practice there is.

                 (Jan L.A. van de Snepsheut (1953-1994), late of CalTech)