Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by "David E. Jones" <de...@me.com> on 2013/06/01 02:57:30 UTC

Re: Looking for an experience Java programmer with OFBiz experience

I suppose I'm just as guilty of this as Al.

Doing this sort of thing has been common since the beginning of OFBiz and includes users, contributors, committers, and once it existed PMC members too. There have been all sorts of discussions over time about alternative tools and even alternative business applications including other ecommerce and ERP apps.

More recently derivative works have become more common and they have been pimped on the mailing lists and in other OFBiz-related venues for a while (also to the complaints of some). I guess this actually goes back a ways to early derivative works of OFBiz like Neogia, so maybe even that is not such a new phenomena.

Maybe my posts on the topic are more tolerated given my history with OFBiz, but in general I believe in open communication and exploration of alternatives. I'm happy to let people compare the Entity Engine to more recent tools like Hibernate and JPA (even if those are just improvements on very old object-relational mapping concepts) because the more dynamic approach is all sorts of advantages that object-tied persistence tools just can't touch.

As we've found over the years with OFBiz there are some things other tools do better, and some things the OFBiz framework tools do better. It's always interesting to discuss them, even if most people pimping one or the other do so in total ignorance of the other... or sometimes both! Some of the most ardent proponents of JPA/Hibernate I've spoken with over the years have little experience with either option.

Whatever the case, in discussions like this my personal "approval" of a comment depends more on details and experiences offered than on general statements of what is and isn't a good idea, and even in this discussion I'd rather see defenders of OFBiz offer details than general statements.

I tried to do that in my reply to your post Adrian, because your post didn't include any sorts of details defending your assertion. It comes across as whining and not productive discussion.

One thing I can say that OFBiz has a pretty good position in is market share, public awareness, and through it's maturity and affiliation with the ASF quite a bit of public confidence too. That's a great thing that will drive the project for years still regardless of other trends or any competition. Of mature ERP and large ecommerce systems it is still probably the best for heavy customization and does well in organizations or derivative works where that is needed. I don't imagine Moqui and the projects in its ecosystem will touch that for a while.

Most derivative works that compete with OFBiz benefit from this too, and even still many have a hard time competing with plain vanilla OFBiz. This is true for both public derivative works that are advertised in some way or other (like Big Fish) or the dozen or so private derivative works that I'm aware of within a number of different OFBiz service providers (ie used for clients and internal projects only, not really distributed publicly either open source or commercial).

Such extensions made public do more to help OFBiz than harm it, by a big amount IMO. Even Moqui/Mantle/etc do more to drive traffic to OFBiz than the other way around. That may change over time, but right now that's the case from what I'm aware of (ie people looking at Moqui/Mantle/etc and deciding to use OFBiz instead).

-David

Posted by "David E. Jones" <de...@me.com>.
I agree that the OFBiz mailing lists and other OFBiz-specific fora are not a good place to discuss or advertise Moqui or any other non-OFBiz project. For this reason after the initial discussions about using Moqui in OFBiz I've tried to limit my comments about Moqui to specific ideas in Moqui that might be useful for certain issues in OFBiz and other OFBiz-specific issues related to Moqui, such as this discussion.

I also agree that "successor" and "latest base" are not good ways to describe Moqui's relationship to OFBiz. I do sometimes use the term "next generation" as in the ideas in Moqui Framework represent the "next generation" of the ideas implemented in the OFBiz Framework. They are still separate projects and live separate lives, progressing in different ways differently. Moqui is not based on OFBiz and it not even intended to replace it. The Moqui Framework, Mantle Business Artifacts, and applications in the Moqui ecosystem may compete with OFBiz in a way, but they are conceptually quite different in software structure and implementation, and in community structure.

So no, Moqui is not a successor to OFBiz and it is also not in any way the most recent version of OFBiz (which I think is what is implied by "latest base"). It is a design and implementation from scratch that uses many of the ideas introduced in OFBiz, and some ideas that I (and perhaps others) want to see implemented in OFBiz, but other than that there is little in common.

If it's any consolation, OFBiz is discussed more in Moqui forums than Moqui is in OFBiz ones. I can't seem to have a conversation about Moqui with an prospective investor or client, or prospective collaborator on Moqui/Mantle/etc with OFBiz being a major element of the discussion.

-David

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.