Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Andreas Weigel <we...@googlemail.com> on 2013/04/16 13:26:34 UTC

GSoC Twitter card integration

Hi Bloodhound mailinglist,

Allow me to introduce myself:
I'm Andreas Weigel, a final year undergraduate in computer science
from Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany.
After using tools and frameworks of apache software foundation i would
like to give something back to the open source community and would
like to participate in this years GSoC in an apache project.
I'm interested in the idea adding social media integration into a
software development collaboration tool (issue:
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/480). Using redmine and
chiliproject i'm experienced in using such tools.

I also have developing experience by first working two years in the
research center for information technology in Karlsruhe, Germany and
since two years as a student in a software developing company.

Developing experience include Java, JSP, JS, jQuery, CSS, Twitter
Bootstrap, HTML, mySQL, Spring, Spring MVC, Tiles, Spring Data,
OpenCms, Maven, GIT/SVN, Jenkins, Sonar, Tomcat, Jetty, SCRUM

Can you please provide more information about this project and tell me
what the next steps are to move on?

Thanks!

Re: GSoC Twitter card integration

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
On 16 April 2013 13:50, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 16/04/13 12:26, Andreas Weigel wrote:
>
>> Hi Bloodhound mailinglist,
>>
>> Allow me to introduce myself:
>> I'm Andreas Weigel, a final year undergraduate in computer science
>> from Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany.
>> After using tools and frameworks of apache software foundation i would
>> like to give something back to the open source community and would
>> like to participate in this years GSoC in an apache project.
>> I'm interested in the idea adding social media integration into a
>> software development collaboration tool (issue:
>> https://issues.apache.org/**bloodhound/ticket/480<https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/480>).
>> Using redmine and
>> chiliproject i'm experienced in using such tools.
>>
>> I also have developing experience by first working two years in the
>> research center for information technology in Karlsruhe, Germany and
>> since two years as a student in a software developing company.
>>
>> Developing experience include Java, JSP, JS, jQuery, CSS, Twitter
>> Bootstrap, HTML, mySQL, Spring, Spring MVC, Tiles, Spring Data,
>> OpenCms, Maven, GIT/SVN, Jenkins, Sonar, Tomcat, Jetty, SCRUM
>>
>> Can you please provide more information about this project and tell me
>> what the next steps are to move on?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Hi Andreas,
>
> Great to hear from you.
>
> It might be worth mentioning at this point that we should be actively
> encouraging students to come up with suggestions for projects themselves if
> they wish to. It may be difficult to judge whether #480 would be the right
> level of challenge for you at this point but you might want to consider
> this (or any of the other ideas) as a starting point for coming up with
> your own project. You obviously want to be doing something that will
> interest you but also something you will also have a reasonable expectation
> to complete within the project timeframe.
>
> Anyway, if you have not already done so, you should probably create an
> account for yourself on https://issues.apache.org/**bloodhound/<https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/>and I will be happy to give you the appropriate permissions to raise
> tickets if you want to. It may also be worth checking out the source code
> for the project to get some basic familiarity with it.
>
> Joe, Brane: do we currently have any more advice on next steps for
> prospective students than making sure that they have first followed the
> advice here: http://community.apache.org/**gsoc.html<http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html>
>
> Cheers,
>     Gary

Willkommen Andreas!

I think good first steps would be to install Bloodhound on your development
environment and familiarize yourself with it by tackling one of the tickets
we've listed for beginners/starters in our Wiki:
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/BloodhoundContributing

I noticed that you don't mention Python as part of your development
experience, so this would be a great way for you to see how comfortable you
are with it, especially in the Bloodhound context.

Depending on how that works for you, you may find out that just the Twitter
card integration may be too small a task to be enjoyable and for you to
learn from. You're welcome of course to come up with additional suggestions
tackling problems that you are interested in, like Gary said.

Cheers,
Joe

--
Joachim Dreimann | *User Experience Designer* |
WANdisco<http://www.wandisco.com/>

@jdreimann <https://twitter.com/jdreimann>

Re: GSoC Twitter card integration

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.