Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Randhir Singh <ra...@sterlite.com> on 2014/04/08 13:05:16 UTC

How to monitor performance of tomcat

We have an application which has JBoss as the application server with
Tomcat as the web server, our application has Oracle 11g as the database. I
would give some further background to the issue we are facing, since the
last 1 1/2 months, the application slows down. Sometimes it comes back to
normal, specially on week-ends. But other times we restart JBoss & Tomcat
to bring back the application to normal.

We have been using jconsole to monitor tomcat like

jconsole 10.101.17.79:8891

which monitors our tomcat for a work order system. If the memory usage does
not show spike and shows constant reading, the GC button is clicked to
invoke the garbage collector.

I checked out on the net and got some clue as below:

1)      Javamelody - It seems to be a 3rd party tool which is not
recommended.

2)      There is a command mentioned to see the admin console,
http://<IP:port>/ but it is not displaying the required page.

Please give your inputs whether jconsole should be a help in the right
direction or some other way to monitor the performance of Tomcat.

Regards

--

*STL Disclaimer:*
The content of this message may be legally privileged and confidential and
confirmation by authorised person. Visit us at www.sterlitetechnologies.com
 Please consider environment before printing this email !

Re: How to monitor performance of tomcat

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@gmail.com>.
How about http://www.moskito.org ?
It has everything you need including full control of jmx beans, memory
management, threads, your beans/pojos/classes, filters, urls, what not...

regards
Leon

Posted by Арсений Зинченко <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

We use JavaMelody for "moment performance checks" on test box and Zabbix
monitoring system to have whole history. Zabbix can use JMX connection to
Tomcat instance and have set of included teamplates, for example - number
of threads, current memory usage, gzip usage and so on. Main virtue of
Zabbix ++ JMX is that it store all data in database + can draw graphs.

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Posted by Shanti Suresh <sh...@umich.edu>.
Hi Randhir,

Have you considered taking a thread dump of the JVM processes, I forget?

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F

If you take multiple thread dumps, say, 6, a minute apart, then you may
open these up in a thread dump analyzer such as TDA or Samurai and see what
threads are deadlocked, or how they are progressing etc.  Then restart
Tomcats to fix problem.  Then analyze the thread dumps post-restart.  I
find thread and heap dumps useful in addition to monitoring metrics.

Thanks,

                    -Shanti

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> There is 1 finding. We normally monitor the tomcat port using jconsole as-
>
> jconsole 10.101.17.79:8891
>
> As per my initial query, our application hangs and we need to restart
> JBoss & Tomcat. I have observed that during this time the port 8891 does
> not respond as the command,
>
> jconsole 10.101.17.79:8891
>
> does not give any console for monitoring.
>
> Requesting an update so that the root cause analysis of this issue can be
> found out.

An often cause for such behaviour is an out-of-memory condition.

If you encountered OutOfMemoryError: PermGen error,  then JVM will not
be able to load any new classes,  with obvious fatal consequences.

Did you monitor the PermGen memory pool size, or just memory as a whole?

If an OOME causes a thread death, it is usually not logged to logging
frameworks, but a message in written to System.err (by
ThreadGroup,uncaughtException(..)).

> Have you considered taking a thread dump of the JVM processes, I forget?

+1

Re: How to monitor performance of tomcat

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Randir,

On 5/21/14, 8:32 AM, Randhir Singh wrote:
> There is a correction as JAVA_OPTS variable is defined in
> catalina.sh under $CATALINA_HOME/bin and we use
> $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh to start tomcat.
> $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh has the code like below ,

startup.sh calls catalina.out.

Do not modify either of these files. Instead, set anything you need in
setenv.sh (which you may have to create because it does not exist by
default).

Also, you probably want to use CATALINA_OPTS and not JAVA_OPTS. Read
the documentation at the top of catalina.sh to understand why.

- -chris

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRGDIR=`dirname "$PRG"`

Posted by Randhir Singh <ra...@sterlite.com>.
Hi,

[...]

-XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Dcwom.bl.ip=127.0.0.1  -Dcwom.bl.port=1399"

confirmation by authorised person. Visit us at www.sterlitetechnologies.com

Posted by Randhir Singh <ra...@sterlite.com>.
Thanks Chris for your answer.

There is around 8 GB of free memory and not disk.

Hope, the change in the Xms, Xmx & XX:MaxPermSize helps.

Any further inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks

On 5/5/14, 6:07 AM, Randhir Singh wrote:
> Thanks Chris for your answer.
>
> I researched a lot and want to try out an option for OOME:
>
> The JAVA_OPTS variable in $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh has the value
> as:

You should use CATALINA_OPTS. Read the comments at the top of
bin/catalina.sh to see what the difference is.

Also, you should set these environment variables in bin/setenv.sh (which you
may have to create) instead of modifying startup.sh directly. It will make
upgrades much easier.

> JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms1303m -Xmx1303m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
> -Dcwom.bl.ip=127.0.0.1 -Dcwom.bl.port=1399"
>
> I checked for free space on the VM instance with Red Hat Linux as the
> OS on which the Tomcat is hosted with a total memory of 19 GB, I found
> that there is around 8 GB of free space in the server.

8GiB free memory or disk?

> I am planning to increase the memory allocation for Heap size and
> PermGen size to almost double as below:
>
> JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
> -Dcwom.bl.ip=127.0.0.1 -Dcwom.bl.port=1399"
>
> I hope, this should avoid the hang-up issues where Tomcat does not
> seem to respond. I plan to implement this in the UAT environment at
> first and see how it goes.

If the problem is GC-related, then the only conditions under which things
will improve by increasing memory are if you were running right under the
heap ceiling you had imposed upon yourself and GC had to run a lot in order
to keep up. Remember that GC-time is related to the number of useful
references in the heap, so if you have a large heap with lots of long-lived
objects, GC will work "harder" (to a point, with generational GC).

> There is another thing I wanted to try. We have RHEL 5.8 Beta
> (Tikanga) version and lot of updates from Red Hat are pending which
> can update the version to RHEL 5.10 (Tikanga). Would this patching
> help as lot of updates are pending?

I have no idea. I know virtually nothing about RHEL and what changes will be
coming.

- -chris

confirmation by authorised person. Visit us at www.sterlitetechnologies.com

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

confirmation by authorised person. Visit us at www.sterlitetechnologies.com

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Randhir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had another point to add in this other than the reply sent by me in the
> earlier mail is that if the JVM crashes as pointed out by you, would a JVM
> process get started when Tomcat is started.
>
> Also, how to check if 2 processes are sharing a common JVM. The 2 processes
> referred to with the context of our environment would be JBoss & Tomcat.
>
> I hope my query is clear.

Your question may be relatively clear, but maybe your premises are not clear.

 From the system/OS perspective, the process which is running is the JVM (or multiple JVM
processes; look for "java" on the first part of the command-line).

Then, this JVM may be running several (java bytecode) java applications.  But these are
not processes from the OS perspective.  They are just "things" that the JVM is doing.

So, when you "start Tomcat", you are not really "starting a Tomcat process".  What you are
starting is a JVM process, and you tell it (by its arguments), to start reading some
compiled "classes" and executing their code.

What everyone has been trying to get out of you, so far without success, is how many java
processes you are really starting, and what you are telling each of them to run in terms
of java applications.
And (I am not an expert, so I am not commenting on that part), what most people here seem
to be saying is that Jboss uses some embedded Tomcat code as its servlet engine, so it
should all run within the same JVM (and thus the same process), and thus they do not
really understand what you seem to be talking about.

Re: How to monitor performance of tomcat

Posted by Randhir Singh <ra...@sterlite.com>.
Hi,

I had another point to add in this other than the reply sent by me in the
earlier mail is that if the JVM crashes as pointed out by you, would a JVM
process get started when Tomcat is started.

Also, how to check if 2 processes are sharing a common JVM. The 2 processes
referred to with the context of our environment would be JBoss & Tomcat.

I hope my query is clear.

Requesting a reply.

confirmation by authorised person. Visit us at www.sterlitetechnologies.com

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Randhir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I increased the Heap & PermGen memory as per trail mail but the performance
> seemed to deteriorate. On the day I increased the memory in the morning,
> the system hung 3 times in the day whereas the maximum times it has got
> hang before is 2 times in a day. I changed the memory settings for Heap &
> PermGen back to before when it hung again the next day, I reverted to the
> old memory values.
>
> The catalina.out showed the entries like below when I monitored it twice
> after the system hung with the new memory values:
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> [ 22-May-2014 03:15:40 ] [ TRACE ] [http-30080-56] [ CHECK SESSION ] :
> Inside doInit Method
> May 22, 2014 3:16:14 PM org.zkoss.zk.ui.impl.UiEngineImpl handleError:1351
> SEVERE: >>org.zkoss.zk.ui.UiException:
> org.jboss.remoting.InvocationFailureException: Socket timed out.  Waited
> 300000 milliseconds for response while calling on InvokerLocator [socket://
> bssossapp01.snl.com:4173/?invokerDestructionDelay=5000&timeout=300000];
> nested exception is:
> java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
>>> org.jboss.remoting.InvocationFailureException: Socket timed out.  Waited
> 300000 milliseconds for response while calling on InvokerLocator [socket://
> bssossapp01.snl.com:4173/?invokerDestructionDelay=5000&timeout=300000];
> nested exception is:
> java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
>>> java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
>>> at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I would be eager to respond in case of any clarification.
>
> Requesting a reply to resolve this as the attempt to resolve this by
> increasing Heap & PermGen memory has failed. I have worked on this issue a
> lot and have been trying to interact with the experts on the forum.
>
> Regards

Hi.
I am jumping in here in the middle, and have not followed the previous correspondence.
(Which is hard anyway, considering that you keep on top-posting).
(And I do not know Jboss at all, so maybe I am misinterpreting all of this).

But if I go by what you are mentioning above - and despite the apparent subject - it looks
to me as follows :
- the application (not part of any Tomcat code per se) is trying to connect to, and read
from, some (for Tomcat) external server
- and that external service is not responding, within the timeout set for this connection
(300,000 ms = 5 minutes)
- thus you see the above exceptions happening

So it is a bit hard from there, to figure out what the Tomcat Heap and Permgen sizes (or
Tomcat performance for that matter) have to do with this.
Intuitively, I would tend to think that if you give more memory to Tomcat to play with,
then maybe it tries to handle more simultaneous requests that cause more of these external
connections to be opened, all of them ultimately failing because the external server does
not respond.
Should you not look at what causes the external server to be slow to respond, first of all ?

Re: How to monitor performance of tomcat

Posted by Randhir Singh <ra...@sterlite.com>.
Hi,

I increased the Heap & PermGen memory as per trail mail but the performance
seemed to deteriorate. On the day I increased the memory in the morning,
the system hung 3 times in the day whereas the maximum times it has got
hang before is 2 times in a day. I changed the memory settings for Heap &
PermGen back to before when it hung again the next day, I reverted to the
old memory values.

The catalina.out showed the entries like below when I monitored it twice
after the system hung with the new memory values:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ 22-May-2014 03:15:40 ] [ TRACE ] [http-30080-56] [ CHECK SESSION ] :
Inside doInit Method
May 22, 2014 3:16:14 PM org.zkoss.zk.ui.impl.UiEngineImpl handleError:1351
SEVERE: >>org.zkoss.zk.ui.UiException:
org.jboss.remoting.InvocationFailureException: Socket timed out.  Waited
300000 milliseconds for response while calling on InvokerLocator [socket://
bssossapp01.snl.com:4173/?invokerDestructionDelay=5000&timeout=300000];
nested exception is:
>>org.jboss.remoting.InvocationFailureException: Socket timed out.  Waited
300000 milliseconds for response while calling on InvokerLocator [socket://
bssossapp01.snl.com:4173/?invokerDestructionDelay=5000&timeout=300000];
nested exception is:
>>java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
>> at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would be eager to respond in case of any clarification.

Requesting a reply to resolve this as the attempt to resolve this by
increasing Heap & PermGen memory has failed. I have worked on this issue a
lot and have been trying to interact with the experts on the forum.

Regards

confirmation by authorised person. Visit us at www.sterlitetechnologies.com

Posted by Randhir Singh <ra...@sterlite.com>.
Thanks Ognjen for your reply. My reply was intended to 2 different people
hence it repeated but anyway I would try to take care on this.

So now it is clear from your answer that catalina.sh is called from
startup.sh in a default installation.

Regards

confirmation by authorised person. Visit us at www.sterlitetechnologies.com

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Randhir,

Posted by Randhir Singh <ra...@sterlite.com>.
Hi,

confirmation by authorised person. Visit us at www.sterlitetechnologies.com
 Please consider environment before printing this email !

RE: How to monitor performance of tomcat

> Thanks for your valuable inputs. I am a bit of a novice to this. When
> this problem happens, it is quite a loss of face in front of the users
> who are widely spread geographically. I checked the catalina.out logs
> on the 2 days that the problem happened on 23rd & 25th April, the
> findings are as below:
>
> 23rd April '14:
>
> The catalina.out log showed the message like,
> -
> -
> ---------
> Caused by: org.jboss.remoting.InvocationFailureException: Socket timed
> out.
> Waited 300000 milliseconds for response while calling on
> InvokerLocator [socket://<hostname of our
> machine>:4173/?invokerDestructionDelay=5000&timeout=300000]; nested
> exception is:
> 	java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
> -
> -
> ---------
>
> 3 times among other exceptions in a span of around 2 minutes.
>
> 25th April '14:
>
> The errors captured in the logs were like,
> -
> -
> ---------
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

This error specifically means that the JVM is basically spending all of its
time doing garbage collection and not really getting any significant amount
of memory back for its efforts.  The end user experiences this usually as a
hung system.  It might eventually come back or it might end up with a
different, more severe, OOM error.
There are lots of various causes for this: too small memory allocation; too
much load; an activity generating a lot of objects, most of which persist
for a long time; memory leaks; or a combination of the above.
How to address it?
a) Profile what parts of the app are being used with this occurs and have
the dev team look at what could be causing the problem.  There might be a
better way to perform the action requested.
b) Increase the available memory (double it or more).  This is only a
band-aid and you may still have the problem, but less often. Have the dev
team look for memory leaks.
c) Anyone else with ideas?
Jeff

> -
> -
> ---------
>
> 4 times among other exceptions in a span of around 2 minutes.
>
> Requesting a reply on this.
>
> Regards

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to

confirmation by authorised person. Visit us at www.sterlitetechnologies.com

confirmation by authorised person. Visit us at www.sterlitetechnologies.com

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: How to monitor performance of tomcat

Posted by Randhir Singh <ra...@sterlite.com>.
Thanks for your answer. The disk space is an issue as it is 99% right now.
The mountpoint /opt is 40G and catalina.out is occupying 13G.

We have log rotated files being made like catalina.2014-04-16.log,
host-manager.2014-04-14.log, localhost.2014-04-14.log.

I can reply to you immediately if you could specify what details you need
about the logging configuration, the text from the files you require.

Regards

confirmation by authorised person. Visit us at www.sterlitetechnologies.com

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: How to monitor performance of tomcat

Posted by Randhir Singh <ra...@sterlite.com>.
Hi,

I have come across a point which could be a reason, the catalina.out file
has become 13G which came to notice when we were analysing space crunch on
the mount point in which tomcat is located.

Further to this, there is some log rotation which is happening. But, what
should be the steps to check or to introduce log rotation otherwise.

Request you to please revert as it is urgent. I would be waiting for a
revert.

Regards

confirmation by authorised person. Visit us at www.sterlitetechnologies.com
 Please consider environment before printing this email !

RE: How to monitor performance of tomcat

>> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Christopher Schultz <
>> chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

>>> Shanti,

>>> The statement refers to the "used" value.
>>>
>>> - -chris
>>>
>>> Thank you!  I got it.
>>>

>> The "used" value says "used 114510568".  I was looking for a value
>> closer to 100MiB.
>>

>   114510568  (~ 109 MB)
> - 104857600    (100 MB)
> ===========
>     9652968   (~  9 MB)
>
> How much closer were you looking for ?

Well, I don't know, maybe 1 or 2 MiB over?  The threshold is 115 MiB, so
if the notes had said "the current usage is less than the 115MiB threshold
we set", I might not have had any doubt.

>> So in the slide, you were making a point of the current usage being
>> less than the threshold, basically, if I am not mistaken.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>                   -Shanti

Thanks,

                  -Shanti

confirmation by authorised person. Visit us at www.sterlitetechnologies.com
 Please consider environment before printing this email !

RE: How to monitor performance of tomcat

>> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Christopher Schultz <
>> chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

>>> Shanti,

>>> The statement refers to the "used" value.
>>>
>>> - -chris
>>>
>>> Thank you!  I got it.
>>>

>> The "used" value says "used 114510568".  I was looking for a value
>> closer to 100MiB.
>>

>   114510568  (~ 109 MB)
> - 104857600    (100 MB)
> ===========
>     9652968   (~  9 MB)
>
> How much closer were you looking for ?

Well, I don't know, maybe 1 or 2 MiB over?  The threshold is 115 MiB, so
if the notes had said "the current usage is less than the 115MiB threshold
we set", I might not have had any doubt.

>> So in the slide, you were making a point of the current usage being
>> less than the threshold, basically, if I am not mistaken.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>                   -Shanti

Thanks,

                  -Shanti

confirmation by authorised person. Visit us at www.sterlitetechnologies.com

Posted by Shanti Suresh <sh...@umich.edu>.
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 3:04 PM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Shanti Suresh wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Christopher Schultz <
>> chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

>>> Shanti,

>>> The statement refers to the "used" value.
>>>
>>> - -chris
>>>
>>> Thank you!  I got it.
>>>

>> The "used" value says "used 114510568".  I was looking for a value closer
>> to 100MiB.
>>

>   114510568  (~ 109 MB)
> - 104857600    (100 MB)
> ===========
>     9652968   (~  9 MB)
>
> How much closer were you looking for ?

Well, I don't know, maybe 1 or 2 MiB over?  The threshold is 115 MiB, so if
the notes had said "the current usage is less than the 115MiB
threshold we set", I might not have had any doubt.

>> So in the slide, you were making a point of the current usage being less
>> than the threshold, basically, if I am not mistaken.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>                   -Shanti

Thanks,

                  -Shanti

Re: How to monitor performance of tomcat

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Shanti Suresh wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Christopher Schultz <
> chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

>> Shanti,
>>
>> On 4/11/14, 9:01 AM, Shanti Suresh wrote:
>>> Thank you!  Great presentation and most wonderful notes!  One
>>> question - on slide #48, where the notes say, "You can see here
>>> that the current usage is about 100MiB, less than the 115MiB
>>> threshold we set", where is the 100MB or thereabouts shown?  Is it
>>> the committed value?  I don't follow that statement.
>> The statement refers to the "used" value.
>>
>> - -chris
>>
>> Thank you!  I got it.
>
> The "used" value says "used 114510568".  I was looking for a value closer
> to 100MiB.

   114510568  (~ 109 MB)
- 104857600    (100 MB)
===========

Posted by Shanti Suresh <sh...@umich.edu>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: How to monitor performance of tomcat

Posted by Shanti Suresh <sh...@umich.edu>.
Hi Chris,

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 10:48 AM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> A: because there is always someone watching them

Thank you!  Great presentation and most wonderful notes!  One question - on
slide #48, where the notes say, "You can see here that the current usage is
about 100MiB, less than the 115MiB threshold we set", where is the 100MB or
thereabouts shown?  Is it the committed value?  I don't follow that
statement.

Thanks again,

                             -Shanti

Re: How to monitor performance of tomcat

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Jeffrey Janner wrote:
> [...]
Jeff.
I apologise.
I got a cup of (strong) coffee, and a Twix to go with it.
I have an excuse though : for me, it is Friday afternoon, just 15 minutes before 5 PM, at
the end of a long week. My attention was divided, between the Tomcat list and the clock on
the wall.
As an amend :
Q: why do clocks never get stolen from government offices ?
A: because there is always someone watching them

RE: How to monitor performance of tomcat

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Jeff,

On 4/11/14, 8:20 AM, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
>> -----Original Message----- From: Christopher Schultz
>> [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net] Sent: Friday, April 11,
>> 2014 12:54 AM To: Tomcat Users List Subject: Re: How to monitor
>> performance of tomcat
>>
>> All,
>>
>> On 4/8/14, 5:24 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> Randir,

>> with

>>> You should really never have to invoke the gc yourself. It gc
>>> isn't working properly by itself, you have a big problem.

>>> Javamelody is just fine. What makes you think it's not
>>> "recommended"?

>>> I suspect there's no chance you are in Denver for ApacheCon
>>> right
>> now,
>>> are you? I'm giving a presentation on it tomorrow. I'll post
>>> the slides later in the afternoon MDT.
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~schultz/ApacheCon%20NA%202014/Monitoring%20Ap

ache%20Tomcat%20with%20JMX.odp

>> There's a PDF version with borked slide-notes in that directory
>> if you can't read ODP.
>>
> Chris - The PDF file is not world readable.

D'oh. How did that happen? Fixed.

- -chris

RE: How to monitor performance of tomcat

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

All,

http://people.apache.org/~schultz/ApacheCon%20NA%202014/Monitoring%20Apache%20Tomcat%20with%20JMX.odp

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> We have an application which has JBoss as the application server with
> Tomcat as the web server, our application has Oracle 11g as the database. I
> would give some further background to the issue we are facing, since the
> last 1 1/2 months, the application slows down. Sometimes it comes back to
> normal, specially on week-ends. But other times we restart JBoss & Tomcat
> to bring back the application to normal.
>

> We have been using jconsole to monitor tomcat like
>

> jconsole 10.101.17.79:8891
>

> which monitors our tomcat for a work order system. If the memory usage does
> not show spike and shows constant reading, the GC button is clicked to
> invoke the garbage collector.
>

> I checked out on the net and got some clue as below:
>

> 1)      Javamelody - It seems to be a 3rd party tool which is not
> recommended.
>
> 2)      There is a command mentioned to see the admin console,
> http://<IP:port>/ but it is not displaying the required page.
>

> Please give your inputs whether jconsole should be a help in the right
> direction or some other way to monitor the performance of Tomcat.

Have you tried
2) archives of this mailing list?