Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> on 2006/12/13 11:39:24 UTC

[VOTE] Release of Apache Ant 1.7.0 - new upload done

Hi,

I have updated my SVN sandbox, got the new StringUtils.java, and done
a new upload.

So we might want to start a new vote.

You can download it from this URL : http://people.apache.org/~antoine/
apache-ant-1.7.0/

Due to our bylaws, if a positive vote happens, the effective release
date (already entered in the doc) will be Dec 19, 2006.

Do you vote for the release of these binaries ?

[ ] Yes

[ ] No

Regards,

Antoine

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Ant 1.7.0 - new upload done

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
+1 Peter

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have updated my SVN sandbox, got the new StringUtils.java, and done a
> new upload.
>
> So we might want to start a new vote.
>
> You can download it from this URL :
> http://people.apache.org/~antoine/apache-ant-1.7.0/
>
> Due to our bylaws, if a positive vote happens, the effective release
> date (already entered in the doc) will be Dec 19, 2006.
>
> Do you vote for the release of these binaries ?
>
> [+1 ] Yes
>
> [ ] No
>
> Regards,

+1

I'm not happy about last minute changes going in, but as they are 1.6
features they dont matter too much. I have just retested all the anunit
script examples I have for my book, and they are all passing, once I
found and deleted an old bsh-1.2 jar that was in the lib dir.

-steve

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Ant 1.7.0 - new upload done

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 12/13/06, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have updated my SVN sandbox, got the new StringUtils.java, and done
> a new upload.
Hi Antonine,
did you get the last change from Kev?

Peter

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 12/13/06, Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Antoine,
>
> > I have updated my SVN sandbox, got the new StringUtils.java, and done
> > a new upload.
> >

> Do you have the recent fixes I made?
>
> Peter, should I merge the fixes into ANT_170 as well as svn trunk?
No, this is the responsibility of the release manager.
Peter

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

no, I did not have your changes. I will do again a rebuild now.

Regards,

Antoine

Posted by Martijn Kruithof <jm...@kruithof.xs4all.nl>.
Antoine Levy-Lambert schreef:

>> I am +1 on releasing those,
>>
>> we should however document that the official release does not work
>> with jdk 1.2
>>
> Hello Martijn,
>
> I am fine with documenting that the release does not run under JDK
> 1.2. Since the documentation of the release is frozen,
> (because it is part of the Subversion tag and of the various binaries)
> I can write it in the email which will announce the release, and also
> write in on our web site after the release.
This would be fine
> Does any one know whether, when one builds 1.7.0 using JDK 1.4.0, ant
> runs under JDK 1.2 ?
I just verfied a build using j2sdk1.4.2_10, it does not run under jdk 1.2.2.

Martijn

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Ant 1.7.0 - new upload done

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
On Dec 16, 2006, at 5:42 PM, Martijn Kruithof wrote:

>> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>

>>> I did a third upload where the HasFreeSpace condition will be
>>> present.
>>>

> I am +1 on releasing those,
>
> we should however document that the official release does not work
> with jdk 1.2

Hello Martijn,

I am fine with documenting that the release does not run under JDK
1.2. Since the documentation of the release is frozen,
(because it is part of the Subversion tag and of the various binaries)
I can write it in the email which will announce the release, and also
write in on our web site after the release.

Does any one know whether, when one builds 1.7.0 using JDK 1.4.0, ant
runs under JDK 1.2 ?

Regards from the Big Apple (just back from a jogging in Central Park).

Antoine

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Ant 1.7.0 - new upload done

Posted by Martijn Kruithof <jm...@kruithof.xs4all.nl>.
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:
>

>> I did a third upload where the HasFreeSpace condition will be
>> present.

I am +1 on releasing those,

we should however document that the official release does not work with
jdk 1.2

Also in the WHATSNEW still the following entry is present

* On Java1.5+, Ant automatically sets the system property
  java.net.useSystemProxies to true, which gives it automatic use of the
local
  IE (Windows) or Gnome2 (Unix/Linux) proxy settings. This may break any
build
  file that somehow relied on content outside the firewall being
unreachable:
  use the -noproxy command-line option to disable this new feature.
  Note that the Java1.5 proxy configuration system still does not
  appear to work reliably on Windows or Linux.

I thought this wasn't true anymore

Also maybe we should remove:
* The -noproxy option which was in the previous 1.7 alpha and beta
  releases has been removed. It is the default behavior and not needed.

Martijn

Results when trying to run on java 1.2.2 on windows are the same as with
the release candidate:

D:\data\eclipseworkspace\ant-trunk>set JAVA_HOME=c:\java\jdk1.2.2

D:\data\eclipseworkspace\ant-trunk>d:\apache-ant-1.7.0\bin\ant test
Buildfile: build.xml
A nonfatal internal JIT (3.10.107(x)) error 'chgTarg: Conditional' has
occurred
in :
  'org/apache/tools/ant/Project.addReference
(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/Objec
t;)V': Interpreting method.
  Please report this error in detail to
http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cg

A nonfatal internal JIT (3.10.107(x)) error 'chgTarg: Conditional' has
occurred
in :
  'org/apache/tools/ant/Project.fireMessageLoggedEvent
(Lorg/apache/tools/ant/Bu
ildEvent;Ljava/lang/String;I)V': Interpreting method.
  Please report this error in detail to
http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cg

A nonfatal internal JIT (3.10.107(x)) error 'chgTarg: Conditional' has
occurred
in :
  'org/apache/tools/ant/util/FileUtils.fromURI
(Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/St
ring;': Interpreting method.
  Please report this error in detail to
http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cg

A nonfatal internal JIT (3.10.107(x)) error 'chgTarg: Conditional' has
occurred
in :
  'org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/ProcessDestroyer.add
(Ljava/lang/Process;)Z': I
nterpreting method.
  Please report this error in detail to
http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cg

 [property] java.lang.IllegalMonitorStateException: current thread not owner
 [property]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.StreamPumper.run(StreamPumper.j
ava, Compiled Code)
 [property]     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)
 [property] java.lang.IllegalMonitorStateException: current thread not owner
 [property]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.StreamPumper.run(StreamPumper.j
ava, Compiled Code)
 [property]     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)
^CBatchopdracht beƫindigen (J/N)? ^C

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 12/19/06, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> >> Classloader grief.
> >
> > Are you sure?  This is the only test exhibiting the problem.  I need
> > to dig deeper to find the reason, though.
>
> This was just a guess. I did a search and you are the first person to
> have encountered this problem, incidentally.

Not quite true,
This has been the case for me testing with jdk1.6 for this junit test
for a *long*
time, I forget to mention it, sorry.

Peter

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Ant 1.7.0 - new upload done

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> Stefan. Rebuild the machine,
>
> Just installed Service Pack 1 for VS2005 today, felt like rebuilding
> the machine, no less.  It took about 85 minutes, at least twice as
> long as the initial installation of VS2005, Guidancy Automation
> Extensions and Toolkit and the VS2005 SDK it was patching took.
>
> Stefan

Microsoft blur the distinction between their apps and the OS. Any
install of an MS app can break your machine. The only safe way to work
with the stuff is under vmware or an equivalent.

That way the hour and a half system install is just one window on your
desktop being out of action.

-steve

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Ant 1.7.0 - new upload done

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> I did a third upload where the HasFreeSpace condition will be
>> present.
>
> +1 for releasing these builds.  Everything looks good.
>
> RmicAdvancedTest fails for me using JDK 1.6, the stack trace (below)
> looks like a deeply confused Xerces to me.  No reason to hold back the
> release
>
> Stefan
>
>     [junit] Testcase: testIIOP(org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.RmicAdvancedTest): Caused an ERROR
>     [junit] org.apache.xerces.parsers.XIncludeAwareParserConfiguration cannot be cast to org.apache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration
>     [junit] java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.parsers.XIncludeAwareParserConfiguration cannot be cast to org.apache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration
>     [junit]     at org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.<init>(Unknown Source)
>     [junit]     at org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.<init>(Unknown Source)
>     [junit]     at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.<init>(Unknown Source)
>     [junit]     at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
>     [junit]     at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl.newSAXParser(Unknown Source)
>     [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.util.JAXPUtils.newSAXParser(JAXPUtils.java:215)
>     [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.util.JAXPUtils.getNamespaceXMLReader(JAXPUtils.java:172)
>     [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.ProjectHelper2.parse(ProjectHelper2.java:185)
>     [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.ProjectHelper2.parse(ProjectHelper2.java:138)
>     [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper.configureProject(ProjectHelper.java:96)
>     [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.BuildFileTest.configureProject(BuildFileTest.java:252)
>     [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.BuildFileTest.configureProject(BuildFileTest.java:235)
>     [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.RmicAdvancedTest.setUp(RmicAdvancedTest.java:44)
>     [junit]     at junit.framework.TestCase.runBare(TestCase.java:128)

Classloader grief. We cannot parse the XML file because Xerces is toasting:
	configureProject(TASKDEFS_DIR + "rmic.xml");

Stefan. Rebuild the machine, or if its a vm image, go back to last
weeks' copy.

-steve

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Ant 1.7.0 - new upload done

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

    [junit]     at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect(TestResult.java:106)
    [junit]     at junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected(TestResult.java:124)
    [junit]     at junit.framework.TestResult.run(TestResult.java:109)
    [junit]     at junit.framework.TestCase.run(TestCase.java:120)
    [junit]     at junit.framework.TestSuite.runTest(TestSuite.java:230)
    [junit]     at junit.framework.TestSuite.run(TestSuite.java:225)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTestRunner.run(JUnitTestRunner.java:421)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.executeInVM(JUnitTask.java:1245)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.execute(JUnitTask.java:814)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.executeOrQueue(JUnitTask.java:1657)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTask.execute(JUnitTask.java:764)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:288)
    [junit]     at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor22.invoke(Unknown Source)
    [junit]     at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    [junit]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:105)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Sequential.execute(Sequential.java:62)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.MacroInstance.execute(MacroInstance.java:391)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:357)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:385)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1329)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1298)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:41)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1181)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:698)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:199)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:257)
    [junit]     at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:104)

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Ant 1.7.0 - new upload done

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello Steve,

yes, this is it.

Regards,

Antoine
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:00:27 +0000
Von: Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>
An: Ant Developers List <de...@ant.apache.org>
Betreff: Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Ant 1.7.0 - new upload done

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello Martijn,

Kevin said he removed the java16 package.

HasFreeSpace compiles with 1.5 because it uses reflection.

Regards,

Antoine
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:15:59 +0100 (CET)
Von: jm@kruithof.xs4all.nl
An: Ant Developers List <de...@ant.apache.org>

Posted by Prashant Deva <pr...@gmail.com>.
Just to interrupt you guys for a sec.
This is regarding the mention of the Virtual Ant GUI in the manual.
As you probably know, I had submitted modifications to the external.xml file
which contains the description of Virtual Ant now.
But I also see that the Ant Manual has an 'Editors/IDE Integration' page. Is
it possible to add Virtual Ant to it, before you guys do the final release?

Note that since Virtual Ant will plug into Eclipse, Intellij and Netbeans
when released which gives another reason to mention it there.

--
Prashant Deva
Creator, ANTLR Studio, Virtual Ant

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Ant 1.7.0 - new upload done

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
> > Hi I thought Kev just (say) he would pull the HasFreeSpace for 1.7.0 to be
> > added after 1.7.0 is released?

I pulled out the o.a.t.a.util.java16 package as it wasn't used, the
hasfreespace condition wasn't pulled as it compiled and ran on both
vm's I have (although this isn't an extensive test by any measure).
Also the condition isn't documented and so no users will know about it
anyway (and hence won't be used) - again this isn't great, but it does
cover us a little in that it's an undocumented feature and shouldn't
be used until it is documented.

> I think that it is ok to have hasfreespace in the release.
> That is, the risk is very small that it will cause any
> more problems. The problems it had were due to
> the lastness of it been added to the code base,
> and the use of java6. The code itself does not
> affect other parts of the system, so it is a contained
> risk. It may be more risky to pull the code now.
> Peter

Peter is absolutely correct, the problems were solely due to trying to
cram in a feature at the last minute - as was pointed out by other
people.  I wasn't aware (although perhaps I should have been) that
today was release day, and having seen the addition of the
javax.scripting and other stuff I thought I could get something in
before the deadline.

Profuse apologies all round.
Kev

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Ant 1.7.0 - new upload done

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jm...@kruithof.xs4all.nl.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello,

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Antoine,

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
To be honest I don't see where an argument comes in...
shouldn't the final release ALSO be an RC?  That's
what a Release Candidate is, isn't it?

+1

-Matt

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello Alexey, Jesse,

I am getting impatient to get the impact of a real release.

In any case, there will be bugs. Which bugs will be found and will be
deemed critical nobody knows.

We might be in search of perfection, but no matter how many RCs you
generate you will never be perfect.

Regards,

Antoine

Posted by Alexey Solofnenko <tr...@gmail.com>.
I would also call it RC2.

Alexey N. Solofnenko trelony at gmail.com
home: http://trelony.cjb.net/
Pleasant Hill, CA (GMT-8 hours usually)

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Ant 1.7.0 - new upload done

Posted by Jesse Glick <je...@sun.com>.