Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Paul Bell <ar...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/11 13:27:03 UTC

Backup a Mesos Cluster

Hi All,

As we get closer to shipping a Mesos-based version of our product, we've
turned our attention to "protecting" (supporting backup & recovery) of not
only our application databases, but the cluster as well.

I'm not quite sure how to begin thinking about this, but I suppose the
usual dimensions of B/R would come into play, e.g., hot/cold, application
consistent/crash consistent, etc.

Has anyone grappled with this issue and, if so, would you be so kind as to
share your experience and solutions?

Thank you.

-Paul

Re: Backup a Mesos Cluster

Posted by Piotr Szwed <ps...@mesoslabs.com>.
Do you know Exhibitor?
https://github.com/Netflix/exhibitor

This could be a good starting point as it has implemented sort of backup
mechanism of Zookeeper cluster status to S3.

Cheers,

> Hi All,
>
> As we get closer to shipping a Mesos-based version of our product, we've
> turned our attention to "protecting" (supporting backup & recovery) of not
> only our application databases, but the cluster as well.
>
> I'm not quite sure how to begin thinking about this, but I suppose the
> usual dimensions of B/R would come into play, e.g., hot/cold, application
> consistent/crash consistent, etc.
>
> Has anyone grappled with this issue and, if so, would you be so kind as to
> share your experience and solutions?
>
> Thank you.
>
> -Paul

Mesos Labs

Re: Backup a Mesos Cluster

Posted by haosdent <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi, @Paul. Mesos support recovery well when your server crash. For Mesos
Master, I suggest to set up multiple masters with zookeeper, so that the
Mesos cluster would not be affected after some of Mesos Master down. For
Mesos Agent, it would recover tasks information after restart.

About backup, I am not clear about your idea here. Do you mean backup to
snapshots in every interval and recover to any timepoint? If you mean this,
Mesos doesn't support this yet.

--
Best Regards,
Haosdent Huang