Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2014/01/07 11:13:47 UTC

Re: UIMA Ruta next steps

Hi,

I wonder if the next version should be 2.2.0 instead of 2.1.1 since the
new import syntax and functionality is not a small change and the
improvements in UIMA-2332 will maybe have a obvious impact for the users.

Any opinions?

Peter

Re: UIMA Ruta next steps

Posted by Martin Toepfer <ma...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
I'll keep my eyes opened ;-) Peter already told me that the release
process may take some time.

-- Martin

--

MSc. Martin Toepfer      Raum: B008
Universität Würzburg     Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-81856

www: http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/mitarbeiter/toepfer/

Re: UIMA Ruta next steps

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: UIMA Ruta next steps

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 01/10/2014 12:29 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> Btw, Martin volunteered as release manager for the upcoming ruta release
> if nobody objects.

+1

Jörn

Re: UIMA Ruta next steps

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 10.01.2014 17:03, schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:
> +1 to move to 6 or 7. It seems to me that projects are on the move to 7 now anyways.
> I just upgraded DKPro Core trunk to Java 7 because we start having dependencies
> that are built with Java 7.
>
> Personally, I'd suggest upgrading to the level that is necessary. E.g. if you need
> features from Java 6 but not from Java 7, then going just to 6 would imho be better.

Then it will be java 6, I guess :-)

Peter

Re: UIMA Ruta next steps

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Re: UIMA Ruta next steps

Posted by Martin Toepfer <ma...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Re: UIMA Ruta next steps

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 10.01.2014 16:37, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> + 1 to move to Java 6 or Java 7  (or Java 8, GA due in mid-March).
>
> Here's my rationale (which will probably expose some of my ignorance about the
> Ruta details :-) ):
>
> Ruta is an Eclispe workbench.  This means that the way you use it is to run
> Eclipse, and then Ruta runs "within it".  [If Ruta is a thing which is used via
> being embedded into other systems, then the argument doesn't apply].

Not exactly. I would categorize the ruta "ecosystem" as a rule-based
analysis engine with additional eclipse-based tooling for developing
those rules (the workbench). We apply the analysis engines most of the
time within the workbench, but also in plain java end applications. I
also heart of people that use a plain text editor for writing their
rules. Both leads to a ruta-usage like a normal java library.

Anyways, I do not worry that dependecy on java 6 or 7 will cause
problems as I do not know of any ruta users or customers that require
java 5. It is not the first time that this topic is dicussed. If there
are requirements, I supose that they would already have called our
attention.

Thanks,

Peter

Re: UIMA Ruta next steps

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: UIMA Ruta next steps

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Re: UIMA Ruta next steps

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 10.01.2014 12:48, schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:
> On 10.01.2014, at 09:29, Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
>
>> Btw, Martin volunteered as release manager for the upcoming ruta release
>> if nobody objects.
> I don't see why anybody should object. But maybe you can act as a first
> reviewer to take some load off Marshall.

Of course :-)

Since Martin is sitting in the room next to me, it will be easy to help
him with the release process.

Peter

Re: UIMA Ruta next steps

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.