Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by 0149486101 <01...@netcabo.pt> on 2003/10/21 17:54:40 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache2 service user -> Apache2 bug?

I have identified the source of my problem.
It has to do with my permissions. It seems that apache2 - unlike 1.3.28 -
requires, in order to access some file/folder, that it have certain
permissions on the folders under which that file/folder is directly or
indirectly located.

I had apache2 installed in f:\programas\apache group\apache2\. I denied to
user apache all permissions on f:\programas. Then I disable inheritance on
f:\programas\apache group\ and gave to user apache read and execute
permissions.
Apache 1.3.28 had no problem with this scheme. Apache 2, however, had.
It printed an error message saying it could not find httpd.conf under
"bin/conf" instead of "conf" I guess because it had failed to find it under
"conf" and then it tried to look for it under other directories and
ultimately giving up after bin/conf (or just tried those two locations,
first conf and then bin/conf). And manually specifying the location of the
configuration file was useless because it was located under
f:\programas\apache group\apache2\conf and apache2 appears to require access
to f:\programs to access the first location.
To test my suspicion, I turned auditing on for f:\programas. I got this
Failure Audit:
Object Open:
 	Object Server:	Security
 	Object Type:	File
 	Object Name:	F:\programas
 	Handle ID:	-
 	Operation ID:	{0,3042912}
 	Process ID:	2956
 	Image File Name:	E:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
 	Primary User Name:	apache
 	Primary Domain:	CATAPHRACT
 	Primary Logon ID:	(0x0,0x2375EF)
 	Client User Name:	-
 	Client Domain:	-
 	Client Logon ID:	-
 	Accesses:		SYNCHRONIZE
			Execute/Traverse

 	Privileges:		-
 	Restricted Sid Count: 0

Finally, I hope that they revert to 1.3.28 method. This simply makes no
sense to me.