Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2016/02/20 16:39:04 UTC

[Discuss] Naming of Falcon/FlexJS artifacts

Hi,

while I see an actual chance to have Falcon built with maven and hereby producing Maven artifacts, I think we should discuss the coordinates these artifacts are created under.

Currently I was using "org.apache.flex.compiler:falcon-compiler" while the normal compiler was "org.apache.flex.compiler:compiler".

We currently have a framework called "FlexJS"/"AsJS" (actually I don't really know the name ;-) )

We have a compiler Falcon and FalconJX (Don't quite know what the last part really is)

Anyway ... we are usually talking about "FlexJS" and referring to the new compiler and the framework.

My proposal would be to publish all under:

org.apache.flex.flexjs:compiler

and:

org.apache.flex.flexjs:framework

I think if we throw in all these codenames we really confuse people. If we just say "FlexJS framework is built by the FlexJS compiler" this is a lot simpler. I guess if we tell people ... "Yeah, our flexjs compiler can also compile flex applictions" noone will be ok with that.

What do you think?

Chris

AW: [Discuss] Naming of Falcon/FlexJS artifacts

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Alex,

I agree with most of your thoughts, but my intention was to make it simpler for people to get started, having to know all of the history just in order to know which artifacts to get doesn't make things easier.

I guess the best thing would have been, if we didn't change the groupIds and artifactIds of the parts.
Currently this would be "org.apache.flex:compiler" and "org.apache.flex:framework" but if we started with 1.0, this would really mess up things. As we would have collisions starting with the first release version of Apache Flex. Besides explaining why the newest version starts at 1.0 again just sounds silly.

Another option would be to call the thing Flex 5.0 ... this would probably be the simplest solution for all. And the major version update justifies breaking compatibility.

And just as a side info ... I think Maven doesn't like things such as "2.0" in the groupId.

Chris

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
More thoughts:

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.