Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2016/02/15 22:15:41 UTC

Food for Thought

<https://communitywiki.org/DoOcracy>

The Apache OpenOffice project, and other Apache projects, are more like do-ocracies than any other form of project governance.  The distinct karma for committers and also PMC members is fundamentally related to the Foundation requirements concerning IP provenance of project code bases and other artifacts, although that is often referred to as a meritocracy arrangement.

For example, no one on the Apache OpenOffice project has executive authority, although there are particular accountabilities for committers, PMC members, and the PMC Chair (who is an officer of the Foundation).

For another example, there are no assignments to give out or ways other than suggestion and recommendation to direct effort.  This is probably what is most confusing to outsiders and also to the many advocates for AOO who would like to see particular expressed needs met.

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton
    orcmid@apache.org
    dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
    X.509 certs used and requested for signed e-mail

RE: Food for Thought

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1

Thank you Michael

Re: Food for Thought

Posted by RA Stehmann <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de>.

Re: Food for Thought

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
> <https://communitywiki.org/DoOcracy>
>
> The Apache OpenOffice project, and other Apache projects, are more
> like do-ocracies than any other form of project governance.  The
> distinct karma for committers and also PMC members is fundamentally
> related to the Foundation requirements concerning IP provenance of
> project code bases and other artifacts, although that is often
> referred to as a meritocracy arrangement.
>
> For example, no one on the Apache OpenOffice project has executive
> authority, although there are particular accountabilities for
> committers, PMC members, and the PMC Chair (who is an officer of the
> Foundation).
>
> For another example, there are no assignments to give out or ways
> other than suggestion and recommendation to direct effort.  This is
> probably what is most confusing to outsiders and also to the many
> advocates for AOO who would like to see particular expressed needs
> met.

I think this may be more confusing for AOO than for many projects
because most users are not in a position to join the do-ocracy.

My other OO project, Apache River, is a system that is written in Java
and primarily used by Java programmers. A user who wants a particular
bug fixed has the option of checking out the source code and developing
their own fix. Many other OO projects are written in Language X by and
for X programmers.

[...]

Patricia