Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it> on 2008/01/09 11:24:30 UTC

The new OFBiz GL accounting/financial component

As you all probably already know, we are completing the gl
accounting/financial support in OFBiz.

A few minutes ago I've answered the following question posted by a user
in the OFBiz wiki site about it and about the relation with the Opentaps
financial component; I think that this subject is interesting and so I'm
posting the Q&A here:

==============================
Question: "Is it OFBiz's long-term goal to replicate/deprecate all of
the functionality in the opentaps financials module? Or do you picture
opentap's financials as always being a superset?"

Answer: "I'd say that the *short-term* goal is to provide a simple but
complete gl accounting/financial module; right now the OFBiz component,
that is in 'alpha', is feature rich and has some features that are not
available in Opentaps.
This is the official financial component for OFBiz, but it is not
correct to say that we will "deprecate" the Opentaps financial
component: we have no control over Opentaps (and of course we don't want
to control it!), because it is an independent and separate project...
and I'm pretty sure that they (Open Source Startegies, the creators of
Opentaps) will continue to use their component, because they have more
knowledge over it, they have invested a lot of resources etc... instead
of the official OFBiz component.
I think that the most natural thing is that, if a user will choose
OFBiz, then will use the integrated OFBiz financial component; if the
user will choose Opentaps then will use the Opentaps financial component.
But time will tell."

Jacopo

Re: The new OFBiz GL accounting/financial component

Posted by guo weizhan <gu...@gmail.com>.
The financial module is very important module in ERP system, OFBIZ shuold
has  mature financial functional itself, no to replicate or deprecate
Opentaps, Opentaps is the commercial product that make very different with
OFBIZ, it has its own roadmap.

Yes, you are right, time will tell, and I believe OFBIZ will become more
success and more popular.