Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Chalcy Raja <Ch...@careerbuilder.com> on 2011/11/23 16:48:07 UTC

hive map field question

Hello HiveUsers,

I have a need to convert a map<string,string> field to string field and vice versa in a hive table.  I could not do cast.

I created two external tables with one has string and another map.  I can join both to get what I want, takes a long time.

Any ideas of how it can be done efficiently ?

Thanks,
Chalcy

RE: hive map field question

Posted by Chalcy Raja <Ch...@careerbuilder.com>.
Wow, this is great news.  I read about explode and wished map had that.

Thanks so much,
Chalcy

Posted by Bejoy Ks <be...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Chalcy
        Support for splitting a column of map data type into key and values is available on the hive latest trunk. You can use a explode() UDF to achieve the same, which used to support only arrays previously.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hive/trunk/ql/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/udf/generic/GenericUDTFExplode.java?view=markup

You need to patch your hive source installation to get this functionality running. Or as a quick fix (not highly recommended) take the source code include the same as a Custom UDF for your temporary usage. You can utilize the explode functionality as follows combining the same with Lateral Views.
Sample DDL
CREATE TABLE test_map
(
  clmn1 STRING,