Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Mark Livingstone <ml...@iprimus.com.au> on 2004/05/03 07:29:11 UTC

James IMAP support

Hi Guys,

I have been lurking for a while. I am a documentation / beta tester
person for Mahogany and columba mail clients on Sourceforge and I need
a local IMAP server. If someone is working on it, I would be willing
to help beta test it.

Since at Uni next semester I am going to begin Java programming, I
would like a Java IMAP server.

Could you tell me just how useful is the IMAP support at present. I
just need something I can get mail from my ISP's POP server and access
locally via IMAP. At present I do not have domain although that might
come if I get broadband at a later stage.

Thanks,

MarkL

Re: James IMAP support

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Mark Livingstone wrote:
> I've tried roadmap documents and old messages from the past few months
> but they don't say much about it's future plans. I know everyone is
> working hard to get the present RC out in its final form but are there
> any plans mooted for working on IMAP in the near future? (say 0-6 month
> time frame)?
>
> I just need to know so I can plan for the immediate future requirements
> I have and plan to help out with James in the future.

Getting IMAP to production quality is far enough away that it will not
get there by individual contributions, and will require probably one
champion to get it to a usable state.  At this point, the people who
have championed IMAP impl's are busy, so no guarantees it will be ready
in time to meet your requirements.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

Re: James IMAP support

Posted by Mark Livingstone <ml...@iprimus.com.au>.
Serge Knystautas wrote:

> Mark Livingstone wrote:
>
>> Could you tell me just how useful is the IMAP support at present. I
>> just need something I can get mail from my ISP's POP server and access
>> locally via IMAP. At present I do not have domain although that might
>> come if I get broadband at a later stage.
>

> AFAIK, IMAP only has a memory-resident mailboxes, so basically the
> protocol is done but storage isn't ready yet.

I've tried roadmap documents and old messages from the past few months
but they don't say much about it's future plans. I know everyone is
working hard to get the present RC out in its final form but are there
any plans mooted for working on IMAP in the near future? (say 0-6
month time frame)?

I just need to know so I can plan for the immediate future
requirements I have and plan to help out with James in the future.

Thanks!

MarkL

Re: James IMAP support

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.