Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu> on 2020/05/31 16:54:40 UTC

Default license header in generated files confuses students (was: Re: The time has come to bd farewell to the license header)

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 31.05.2020, 16:37 +0000 schrieb Kenneth Fogel:
> Please, please, please get rid of this:
>
> /*
> * To change this license header, choose License Headers in Project Properties.
> * To change this template file, choose Tools | Templates
> * and open the template in the editor.
> */
>
> My students think its important so refuse to remove it or go to Tools
> | Templates and delete it there. Its really annoying. If you want to
> keep it then put it at the end of the file with the added notation
> Delete Me.

please use speaking subjects. They are not funny and not helpful. I
updated it to a from my POV better summary.

I don't get your point. License headers are important, the development
ecosystem shifts to opensouce models (hell, even Microsoft admits that)
and in that case clear licensing is a base requirement.

If your students don't understand what is written there teach them, I
understood you are in teaching, so use the oportunity. Just as teachers
in germany have to consider correct spelling and grammer even in non-
language subjects, you could make it a point by deducing points for
invalid license headers.

There is even a description how to "fix" the issue, so if that is to
hard, maybe programming is not the right direction for the students?

The header can't be placed at the end of the file as convention
requires it to be at the top. There are projects out there that
(rightly) refuse to include software without clear license statement.

Maybe this gives this another perspective.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: Default license header in generated files confuses students

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
ne 31. 5. 2020 v 19:00 odesílatel Matthias Bläsing <
mblaesing@doppel-helix.eu> napsal:

> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 31.05.2020, 16:37 +0000 schrieb Kenneth Fogel:
> > Please, please, please get rid of this:
> >
> > /*
> > * To change this license header, choose License Headers in Project
> Properties.
> > * To change this template file, choose Tools | Templates
> There is even a description how to "fix" the issue, so if that is to
> hard,

Could we make the "choose Tools | Templales" a hyperlink or a hint or etc?
Something that could be just clicked? While I find the default template
annoying as well, I usually perceive this advice too complicated to follow.
I even tried to make it simpler by changing the header to:

/*
* To change this license header, click [here].
*/

and handling the click by opening the templates configuration dialog
instantly at the right place. I haven't got it working (shame on me),
however I still believe making the license configuration more approachable
would be a great service to all NetBeans IDE users.
-jt

Re: Default license header in generated files confuses students (was: Re: The time has come to bd farewell to the license header)

Posted by Carl Mosca <ca...@gmail.com>.
I don't know that it's confusing (it never was to me) just not
convenient...perhaps due to my own ignorance.

I think of any given license as project, not IDE specific.

Perhaps I should dig a bit further before commenting.

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 1:00 PM Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 31.05.2020, 16:37 +0000 schrieb Kenneth Fogel:
> > Please, please, please get rid of this:
> >
> > /*
> > * To change this license header, choose License Headers in Project
> Properties.
> > * To change this template file, choose Tools | Templates
> > * and open the template in the editor.
> > */
> >
> > My students think its important so refuse to remove it or go to Tools
> > | Templates and delete it there. Its really annoying. If you want to
> > keep it then put it at the end of the file with the added notation
> > Delete Me.
> >

> please use speaking subjects. They are not funny and not helpful. I
> updated it to a from my POV better summary.
>
> I don't get your point. License headers are important, the development
> ecosystem shifts to opensouce models (hell, even Microsoft admits that)
> and in that case clear licensing is a base requirement.
>
> If your students don't understand what is written there teach them, I
> understood you are in teaching, so use the oportunity. Just as teachers
> in germany have to consider correct spelling and grammer even in non-
> language subjects, you could make it a point by deducing points for
> invalid license headers.
>
> There is even a description how to "fix" the issue, so if that is to
> hard, maybe programming is not the right direction for the students?
>
> The header can't be placed at the end of the file as convention
> requires it to be at the top. There are projects out there that
> (rightly) refuse to include software without clear license statement.
>
> Maybe this gives this another perspective.
>
> Greetings
>
> Matthias

Carl J. Mosca

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
> yes, but then you have to discover it first

This is true--but of all the features in the NetBeans IDE, why would this one warrant special advertising, every single time a new file is added? Imagine if every option came with a "Did you know you could change this option?" message...

Moreover, the users who actually need the feature are advanced enough to find it.

Not a big deal, but a valid usability concern was raised, by someone who uses NetBeans in an educational setting, and who observes hundreds of students using it. This kind of feedback is valuable, and should at least not be discouraged.

-- Eirik

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
On 6/2/2020 9:24 AM, David Green wrote:
> I should have said that the template is evaluated on creation of the new
> file and a blank license file will keep the source clean.
>
> It does not cause files that have already been generated to change.

There is "license changer" currently at PP2 for that.

-ernie

Posted by David Green <dg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Green <dg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tomas Poledny <sa...@gmail.com>.
My experience with license headers are:

   - Open Source - I need license headers
   - Commercial - I haven't used license headers (project for banks,
   financial companies etc.)
   - Teaching - I don't want to use license headers it is annoying
   - Studying - It is annoying
   - Presentation - I don't want it

It means that only my one from five usecases uses license headers and in
other usecases I don't need it or I don't want it. This is the reason why I
think that the checkbox with enabling/disabling in a project configuration
license headers is good solution. It can be enabled by default if you want
to show a comment about the license headers. But I think that we need an
easy solution how to hide these license headers and editing templates is
not easy solution from my point of view.

I edited my netbeans templates with the license headers and remove it from
there in tha past. Is somewhere some tutorial how to easy hides these
headers? Maybe it can be hidden if license file is empty.

Tomas

Posted by Jesse Glick <ty...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
Fro the record, where I worked there was a company-standard template required. Not so much a license, but a copyright notice.  I think such requirements are not that uncommon outside of OSS in the corporate world.

I think perhaps this feature would benefit from a few changes:

1 - allowing a per-project setting.  Working on corporate stuff, vs various open source projects, the license will change from one project to the next.  Not all projects use Maven, but if the project is a Maven project, then reading the license information from the POM if it is there makes sense.  Otherwise, perhaps NB can add a .nb-license-default.txt file to the project folder (add add it the version control as needed).

2 - A better default license might make more sense than the message in the current default.  For example a simple "Copyright {year} {username}” would suffice.

3 - Use a gutter hint/tooltip to direct users to where to change the license if it is the generic default.

4 - Possibly move the license setting to the “Team” section of the preferences?
License text is usually something that the team decides on and should be consistent across the team, so I would certainly not be surprised to find it there.  It may also be more discoverable, as I have never ventured into the templates except by being one fo the few in my organization that bothers to read the default license text and take action.  I think the hint in the gutter might make it a little closer to reach, where the big list of templates in the Template Manager tends to overwhelm people unfamiliar even though the current instructions are fairly clear.

Currently the “Team” menu seems to be about version control.  That’s related to team settings I guess, but when I think Version Control, I don’t think “Team”.  It also seems to have some integration to Hudson (though I think most people went to Jenkins when that drama unfolded).  I can think of a lot of tweaks I would do to the menu structure now that I look more closely at it.  I think I’ll write a separate email about that.

In my case at work, even having the text under “License" seemed misleading because we weren’t thinking of the text as a license - we want a copyright notice.  What we are really changing is a default per-file comment.  If I didn’t pay attention to the message in the default license, my first instinct would be to look for the template in “Other -> Java File” to change the text.  Though I understand that the license is applied to multiple file types, so I get it.

Regards,,

Scott

Re: Re: Default license header in generated files confuses students (was: Re: The time has come to bd farewell to the license header)

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Not an expert on this so others more well versed in this then I can chime in but thought I would put it in the thread...

Looking for Netbeans Templates I found reference (1) to FAQ for template variables. From this I see some of the following:

${project.license} based on the value (e.g., 'CDDL'), the license header is found and is inserted into the template.
How do I override those predefined variables?
Go to Tools | Templates.
Click the Set button,It will open the User.properties file from NETBEANS_USERDIR/config/Templates/Properties/User.properties.
Now you can add the above and set your own value, for example:

The reference seems a little dated from around Netbeans 6+ so hopefully this is still true. It expands on FreeMarker (2) which leads to a manual on FreeMarker (3)

So then is it as simple as having guidance in setting their “user.properties” earlier in the process?

Could maybe have wizard on first startup to set global user properties and wizard on new project specific?

I would assume with most IDEs there is something similar, so maybe when teaching it could expand on the awareness of the developer users details including the type of work (local, open source, commercial), name, contact details, as version control details on check ins, etc. The flip side of that is the risk of not putting any such licensing could result in someone else taking there source work and claiming it as their own, possibly earning money or just not getting credit.

On a separate note...I’m not sure if the current status but didn’t the wiki.netbeans.org get redirected or moved someplace on the Apache side at some point? Did this get missed or is this a legacy doc which will remain there?

(1) http://wiki.netbeans.org/FaqTemplateVariables
(2) http://wiki.netbeans.org/FaqFreeMarker
(3) https://freemarker.apache.org/docs/

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
I think this idea of having license selection as part of the new project wizard makes sense.

Scott

Posted by David Green <dg...@gmail.com>.
Another (mostly retired) professor here.

We had a team project (https://github.com/dgreen/NetBeansTemplateConfig) at
the end of the course and one of the groups built a limited template tool
(for our environment) that sets up the students machine for the course
standard header for most of the Java types and the core unit tests.   The
students released the code under the MIT license upon my request.

It contains the license logic that is presently in use because I wanted,
like some others here, to make the point that licensing should be
considered near the start of the project.  We have an Ethics and
Intellectual Property module in the course as well.   We then show how to
go into the project’s license option and set it to an empty file (using the
GUI) to disable licensing if it is not needed (and it is not required for
the class assignments).

Code could stand a lot of improvements but I wanted to share how an another
educator approached it.  The present code supports Windows and Mac but not
the betas with their non-numeric convention.  It does try to run against
the latest user directory although presently there is one version for
NetBeans and another for OpenBeans (and was several for CoolBeans as naming
conventions were established).

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
From me a strong -1 to split the configuration. What do we gain if we

Posted by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>.
I think Tomas' suggestion below makes the most sense. If the community feels strongly that licenses must be encouraged then it could be reduced to a single line such as :

// Consider creating a Licence header in Project Properties or Tools Templates.

Ken

My proposal is to create a checkbox in settings (and per project too) with enabling license headers. It can be disabled by default and if you want license headers (because you know what you are doing) you can easily enable it in settings.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
+1 to the idea of a hint on the first line that links to the default license template if the file does not start with a comment.

We also need per-project templates and perhaps improvements to the default template. I always figured the default should insert a copyright notice with the current year at minimum. That’s what I always change my default to.

You can’t imagine how many files were checked in at my last company with the default template left as is.  Even with the instruction there, “professional” developers are too lazy to change it :-(. It becomes something they just start to ignore.

Scott

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 10:58, Zoran Sevarac <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In addition to suggested solutions, maybe it could be handy to have
> EducationalMode plugin which will provide all the settings suitable for
> teaching out of the box.

+1 This I've said multiple times - something that could control
selective enablement of features, similar to ergonomics but with a
different focus.  Not just on/off, but selective enablement of
features to evolve with the user, which is not necessarily just
limited to education.  It somewhat annoys me that things like BlueJ
exist! :-)

But, IMO, this needs to have discoverability of features at its heart
too.  Guide and explain, don't hide away.

Best wishes,

Neil

Posted by Zoran Sevarac <se...@gmail.com>.
Obviously, there are different needs/perspectives for professional
developers and students.
In addition to suggested solutions, maybe it could be handy to have
EducationalMode plugin which will provide all the settings suitable for
teaching out of the box.
Although it is possible to do it manually, things like these break
learning/teaching flow, especially when you have to explain it multiple
times to several students that were not listening
because they were solving some other small issue, and when you have to set
up this on 20 computers in 5 classrooms etc.

Best
Zoran

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 10:16 AM Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 09:06, Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>
> wrote:
> > +1 for the hint mentioned by Jan and +1 for the checkbox mentioned by
> Tomas.
>
> +1 to the hint mentioned by Jan, was thinking similar.
>
> -1 to the checkbox, at least if it's off by default.  I mainly agree
> with Matthias' stance.  Hiding things doesn't help discoverability
> either.
>
> I would be in favour of getting feedback from the students on the
> actual text in use, though - is there something that would make it
> more obvious what they should do?  I hate second guessing user
> experience.
>
> I also wonder whether we could hyperlink certain text in such comments
> directly to actions / options?  Including to a per-project kill
> switch?  There are a few places that might be useful.  Hints are a
> little hidden.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Neil

Zoran Sevarac, PhD, Associate Professor
University of Belgrade, Faculty of Organisational Sciences, Department for
Software Engineering
Java Champion <https://community.oracle.com/community/java/java-champions>
| Oracle Groundbreaker Ambassador | Deep Netts <http://www.deepnetts.com>
Co-founder & CEO

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

AW: Default license header in generated files confuses students (was:Re: The time has come to bd farewell to the license header)

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
+1 for the hint mentioned by Jan and +1 for the checkbox mentioned by Tomas.

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Posted by Tomas Poledny <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Just a few comments:

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
I believe the proposal here is merely to make the template empty by default--people who want a default license header (to e.g. the Apache license) can still use the feature, but must customize the template first, like they always had to before.

The default license header has always been a slight annoyance to me. Different projects I work on have different licenses, so it has never made sense for me to try to customize the default. Instead I just end up deleting the auto-inserted comments every time.