Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Haas <Mi...@brz.gv.at> on 2008/03/08 01:22:36 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_proxy socket-timeout?

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a possibility to set a socket timeout (no tcp handshake possible, when host is down) and a different application timeout (tcp handshake complete but backend server/application is slow).
The reason i ask is i would like to have a fast reaction when one of the backends is down, like 10-30 seconds and a longer timeout when the backend is alive (backend is only slow).
I have read the documentation and i think it is not possible with a parameter but maybe i missed something. If i set for example the timeout parameter on the BalancerMember the timeout is used for both cases.
Am i the only one who wants to differentiate between these timeouts?

i have the following setup. Apache 2.2.8 Solaris 10
    Timeout 300
    ProxyRequests Off
    <Proxy *>
    Order deny,allow
    Allow from all
    </Proxy>
    <Proxy balancer://mycluster>
    BalancerMember http://xxx.xx.xx.1:8000 timeout=30 retry=420
    BalancerMember http://xxx.xx.xx.2:8000 timeout=30 retry=420
    </Proxy>
    ProxyPass /em !
    ProxyPass /j2ee !
    ProxyPass /server-status !
    ProxyPass / balancer://mycluster/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://xxx.xx.xx.1/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://xxx.xx.xx.1:8000/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://xxx.xx.xx.2/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://xxx.xx.xx.2:8000/
    ProxyPreserveHost On
    ProxyStatus On

Only for example if the parameter socket-timeout would exist, i would set it like this.

<Proxy balancer://mycluster>
    BalancerMember http://xxx.xx.xx.1:8000 socket-timeout=20 timeout=150 retry=420
    BalancerMember http://xxx.xx.xx.2:8000 socket-timeout=20 timeout=150 retry=420
</Proxy>