Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by ba...@standardandpoors.com on 2001/03/30 19:12:33 UTC

create/serialize sub-documents

Help.

I have a file like:

<toptag>
     <article>

............lots of stuff

     </article>
     <article>

............more stuff

     </article>
</toptag>

I want TWO files like:

<article>

.........stuff

</article>

Using something like Sebastien Ponce's code:

           parser.parse(uri);
            Document doc = parser.getDocument();

            NodeList nodeList = doc.getElementsByTagName("article");
            String fileNumber;
            for (int i=0;i<nodeList.getLength();i++){
                Node node = nodeList.item(i);
                Document newDoc = new DocumentImpl();
                newDoc.importNode(node,true);
                OutputFormat of = new OutputFormat(newDoc);
                of.setPreserveSpace(false);
                of.setIndent(5);
                of.setLineWidth(80);
                fileNumber = Integer.toString(i);
                BufferedOutputStream oStream = new BufferedOutputStream(new
FileOutputStream("temp"+fileNumber+".xml"));
                XMLSerializer ser = new XMLSerializer(oStream,of);

                ser.serialize(newDoc);
                oStream.close();
            }

I get two EMPTY files.  Please tell me what I am missing.  Thanks for your
consideration.