Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/18 16:06:01 UTC

Migrating from SVN to GITHUB

Hi,
What about migrating to Github some day ?

Currently for us using SVN is good, but using Github would allow much
easier contribution by community through PR ?
Another possible improvement would be easier branching for bit more
complicated features.

I wonder about the time it would take us to do this and if there is some
help from infrastructure on this ?

--
Regards.
Philippe

Re: Migrating from SVN to GITHUB

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
I thought primary VCS should be handled by ASF infrastructure, shouldn't it?
When Optiq entered Incubator (new name is Calcite), we had to move github
repository to Apache git+JIRA infrastructure.

PS. I you would accept PR via github mirror (e.g.
https://github.com/apache/jmeter), that would be great.

-
Vladimir Sitnikov

Re: Migrating from SVN to GITHUB

Posted by Graham <jm...@ham1.co.uk>.
I think this is a good idea. I agree it would open up the code to enable
easier contribution from the community i.e. PRs are easier to comment on
and create than patches in bugzilla. It would enable easier branching, for
example we could easily branch the code when adding a new feature - or
maybe even share someone's fork which contained the new feature (e.g.
Philippe's AsyncListener).

Would we migrate bugzilla to github, or just the version control?

Graham

Posted by Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru>.
+1

This would be great. DVCS'es has proven their strength and flexibility
already. I guess some of Apache have some option to use GIT as main
repository. I think the policy will not allow to use GitHub as primary
source location. But GIT allows easy process of having GitHub repo as
main workplace and pushing changes into primary repo in automated fashion.

Andrey Pokhilko