Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rob Tanner <rt...@linfield.edu> on 2005/03/04 03:27:20 UTC

[users@httpd] Possible apache security hole??

Hi,

We have an unknown assailant twice beak into our main webserver as the
apache user (the user the web server runs as) and each time he plated
files in /var/tmp and caused the whole system to hang (RH Linux).  I
don't know that he/she is coming in by taking advantage of an apache
bug or not, but here is the list of what's running in the server and
what I'm wondering is whether my problem sounds like a known issue with
any one of these packages/versions.  The hacker might, of course, be
getting in via some entirely unrelated mechanism.

Server: Apache/2.0.47 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.47
OpenSSL/0.9.7a DAV/2 PHP/4.3.6 mod_jk/1.2.4

Thanks.

--
Rob Tanner
UNIX Services Manager

Re: [users@httpd] Possible apache security hole??

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:27:20 -0800, Rob Tanner <rt...@linfield.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have an unknown assailant twice beak into our main webserver as the
> apache user (the user the web server runs as) and each time he plated
> files in /var/tmp and caused the whole system to hang (RH Linux).  I
> don't know that he/she is coming in by taking advantage of an apache
> bug or not, but here is the list of what's running in the server and
> what I'm wondering is whether my problem sounds like a known issue with
> any one of these packages/versions.  The hacker might, of course, be
> getting in via some entirely unrelated mechanism.
>
> Server: Apache/2.0.47 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.47
> OpenSSL/0.9.7a DAV/2 PHP/4.3.6 mod_jk/1.2.4

Well, you are several versions behind on some of those components and
on Apache, so upgrading would definitely be a good idea.

But the most likely source of the problem is some insecure cgi script
or other script on your system.  Check all your scripts for security
problems.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Possible apache security hole??

Posted by Rob Tanner <rt...@linfield.edu>.
Bruce,

I checked, and you pretty much hit the nail right on the head.  I didn't want
to reply (at least not list-wide) until of webmaster got all the php cleaned
up and globals off.  Thanks.

-- Rob

--On Friday, March 04, 2005 01:39:51 PM -0300 "Ivan Barrera A."

Posted by "Ivan Barrera A." <Br...@Ivn.cl>.

Posted by Gene <li...@Bomgardner.net>.