Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andrea Malagodi <ma...@mac.com> on 2007/01/17 22:35:38 UTC

Maven versioning and Subversion

I face a challenge in applying the concepts of versions in our use of
Maven in combination with Subversion and was hoping someone could
give me some pointers. Today we employ a svn repo where we apply code
in trunk and at release time create a branch, which we test and
evolve to a point where we have signoff for a release at which point
we tag that revision. However during this process we are not really
sure how we employ the use of the POM version, we feel that the
following options are open;

1. Change the pom.xml that is following the branch with an scm
reference to the branch and a pom version to reflect the branch,
which culminates in a change to the tag eventually
Issue: so now our Continuum server is building the trunk and the
branch at the same time, it seems confusing and messy if you have 150
projects building that suddenly you need to support 300 builds at any
one time

2. Ignore the trunk as long as the branch build is occurring and
change the Conitnuum reference to the branch pom and change the scm
in the pom to reference the branch
Issue: so I now have no idea what is happening on the trunk, what if
my branch is alive for 3 weeks

Anyway I hope you get the gist, I am a bit lost how to apply the
versioning across these 2 components, svn and maven/continuum - help
is much appreciated

regards

Mr. Andrea Malagodi
Tel: +41 79 445 5603