Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Yaakov Chaikin <ya...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/01 02:07:05 UTC

Process for contributing

Hi,

This might be or might not be off topic for this mailing list... Not sure.

I was wondering how the Tomcat development as well as other Apache
projects manage the fact that besides the approved committers, there
might be other people who would want to contribute. Is there some sort
of automated mechanism that is put in place where the code from a
person who is not one of the main committers submits his code and that
code gets either approved or not? What's the procedure for something
like that?

If there is an official Apache document about my question, please let
me know the URL.

Thanks,
Yaakov.

Re: Process for contributing

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
http://www.apache.org/dev/, especially the "How the ASF works" and
"Introduction for contributors" pieces.

In a nutshell:
1. Join this mailing list, post ideas / comments / whatever.
2. Put your contributions (code, docs, whatever) into Bugzilla at
issues.apache.org, and committers will get them into the codebase as
appropriate.
3. If/when the other committers think you've contributed a lot of good
stuff, you'll get voted a committer yourself.

That's it.  Many other open-source projects work this way.  This is
not new, nor unique to Tomcat.

Yoav

On Dec 31, 2007 8:07 PM, Yaakov Chaikin <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This might be or might not be off topic for this mailing list... Not sure.
>
> I was wondering how the Tomcat development as well as other Apache
> projects manage the fact that besides the approved committers, there
> might be other people who would want to contribute. Is there some sort
> of automated mechanism that is put in place where the code from a
> person who is not one of the main committers submits his code and that
> code gets either approved or not? What's the procedure for something
> like that?
>
> If there is an official Apache document about my question, please let
> me know the URL.
>
> Thanks,
> Yaakov.

Yoav