Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Vijay Balakrishnan <bv...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/15 16:01:36 UTC

Converting Metrics from a Reporter to a Custom Events mapping

Hi,
I need to capture the Metrics sent from a Flink app to a Reporter and
transform them to an Events API format I have designed. I have been looking
at the Reporters(
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-stable/monitoring/metrics.html#list-of-all-variables)
and have used them but what would be a best practice to capture this
metrics data to transform it ?

The folks using the Flink app still want to see their metrics in the Flink
Dashboard using their chosen(not sure yet what they chose-assuming
ConsoleReporter) Reporter. I need to capture those metrics, transform them
to my Events API format and send it to a Kinesis Stream.

We use Prometheus and InfluxDB in our environments for other purposes.

Should I use the SLF4J Reporter to dump the metrics into a log file/folder
and watch that with a Kinesis Agent and transform it somehow(?) and then
send it to the Kinesis data stream ?

TIA,

Re: Converting Metrics from a Reporter to a Custom Events mapping

Posted by Vijay Balakrishnan <bv...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all your replies.Ended up using a StatsdReporter with Flink and
building a statsd plugin to transform the data to my required output format
and dump it into a folder that the Kinesis agent can then pick up.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.