Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Andrew Humphries (MEL)" <An...@foxtel.com.au> on 2009/08/04 09:09:43 UTC

Absolute positioning and images

Hi -

Am investigating FOP as an alternative to our current PDF solution,
Itext.

I have done some research but cannot see from the FAQ etc and googling

Can I absolutely position (to pixel positions) text on a pdf with FOP?

I need to absolutely position text on the pdf ontop of a background
image with any library I can consider as a replacement for Itext.  I am
using the PDFContentByte in Itext to do this absolute positioning.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

This e-mail, and any attachment, is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it from your system, do not use or disclose the information in any way, and notify the sender immediately.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not be the views of FOXTEL, unless specifically stated. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment (s) are free from computer viruses or other defects.

Re: Absolute positioning and images

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Andrew Humphries (MEL) wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Am investigating FOP as an alternative to our current PDF solution,
> Itext.
>
> I have done some research but cannot see from the FAQ etc and googling
>
> Can I absolutely position (to pixel positions) text on a pdf with FOP?
>
> I need to absolutely position text on the pdf ontop of a background
> image with any library I can consider as a replacement for Itext.  I am
> using the PDFContentByte in Itext to do this absolute positioning.

You want to use an absolutely-positioned block-container element:
    <fo:block-container absolute-position="absolute" top="10pt"
      left="10pt">
      <fo:block>Text in an absolutely-positioned block-container...</fo:block>
    </fo:block-container>

Note that positions in pixels don’t have much meaning in PDF. You
usually set the size of the document in cm, mm or pt, and position
objects in the PDF likewise.

HTH,
Vincent

AW: Absolute positioning and images

Posted by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de>.
Hi Andrew,

Yes, you can. As long as you do not need to know the width or height of a published block, I haven't found anything iText can do and Fop can't. And I transfer a creation engine for 1.3K pages catalogues.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------

Georg Datterl