Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tyler Bird <bi...@epromo.com> on 2007/10/24 18:26:24 UTC

mod_perl MVC framework.

Hi List,

Hey I was wondering if there was any MVC framework that anybody on this
list could point
me to that work work well with mod_perl.

We are having difficulty finding a good MVC framework for perl.

I have looked at HTML::Mason and the template toolkit today.
I am not quite sure mason is a MVC framework.  The template toolkit
looks promising.

Tyler

Re: mod_perl MVC framework.

Posted by gautam chekuri <ga...@gmail.com>.
Catalyst is a MVC framework we can use with mod_perl

http://www.catalystframework.org/

On 10/24/07, Tyler Bird <bi...@epromo.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Hey I was wondering if there was any MVC framework that anybody on this
> list could point
> me to that work work well with mod_perl.
>
> We are having difficulty finding a good MVC framework for perl.
>
> I have looked at HTML::Mason and the template toolkit today.
> I am not quite sure mason is a MVC framework.  The template toolkit
> looks promising.
>
> Tyler

Re: mod_perl MVC framework.

Posted by ad...@utoronto.ca.
there's a list here:

http://perl.apache.org/products/app-server.html

Adam

Re: mod_perl MVC framework.

Posted by Juan Jose Natera <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tyler

> We are having difficulty finding a good MVC framework for perl.
>
> I have looked at HTML::Mason and the template toolkit today.
> I am not quite sure mason is a MVC framework.  The template toolkit
> looks promising.

Neither TT or Mason are MVC frameworks, but they can be used to
provide the V(iew) in MVC.

What you're looking for is one of the following, in no particular order:

Catalyst
Jifty
CGI::Application
CGI::Prototype

And even then, you will most likely end up using TT or Mason for the view.

regards,

Juan Natera

Re: mod_perl MVC framework.

Posted by Aaron Trevena <aa...@gmail.com>.
On 24/10/2007, Tyler Bird <bi...@epromo.com> wrote:
> We are having difficulty finding a good MVC framework for perl.

Um...? There are an abundance, listed in CPAN, articles about them are
on perl.com, and the mod_perl page has a list.

> I have looked at HTML::Mason and the template toolkit today.
> I am not quite sure mason is a MVC framework.  The template toolkit
> looks promising.

I would definately recomend TT as part of an Application / MVC
framework, it is especially well suited to working with an MVC
Framework - using Mason could be confusing as it provides it's own way
of doing things done by the MVC application.

Given everybody else voting for their favourite I'll mention Maypole,
but then I'm biased :)

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk

RE: mod_perl MVC framework.

Posted by James Harvey <jh...@yahoo-inc.com>.
The way the cool kids do it is to use

CGI::Application in conjunction with HTML::Template.

http://cgiapp.erlbaum.net/

Haven't done it myself, used HTML::Mason last time, which isn't true
MVC.

James

Re: mod_perl MVC framework.

Posted by Carl Johnstone <mo...@fadetoblack.me.uk>.
> TAL does have a downside- as do all the other templating languages -
> they've all alllowed feature creep to turn them into micro-languages  or
> processing languages.

I wouldn't necessarily say that's a bad thing - sometimes the view does have
to be more complicated, and if your templating language isn't up to it then
you end up inter-mingling code and HTML.

Another vote here for Catalyst, we're running web sites for around 18
regional UK newspapers using it. Amongst the models we use DBIx::Class for
DB access, and for view TT.

Carl

Re: mod_perl MVC framework.

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <jv...@2xlp.com>.
On Oct 24, 2007, at 10:37 PM, Foo JH wrote:

> What is fast to cook, good to eat is HTML::Template. No XML, easy
> abstraction between your web designer and developer.

I GREATLY prefer using TAL ( in perl using Petal ) for the V

someone finally made an integration for Petal and Catalyst.
unfortunately I've build my own MVC since then

I like TAL because its cross platform - its easy to offload urls into
php or python and reuse all of your templates
TAL does have a downside- as do all the other templating languages -
they've all alllowed feature creep to turn them into micro-languages
or processing languages.

Whatever you use, MAKE SURE  you keep as much of the convenience
code / templater speciific text out of your templates.  That stuff is
neat and useful, but it blends designer and programmer way too much.
It will drive you insane.

Re: mod_perl MVC framework.

Posted by Adrian Howard <ad...@quietstars.com>.
On 25 Oct 2007, at 03:37, Foo JH wrote:

> What is fast to cook, good to eat is HTML::Template. No XML, easy
> abstraction between your web designer and developer.
[snip]

And like TT2 is just the V bit of MVC

Adrian

Re: mod_perl MVC framework.

Posted by Foo JH <jh...@extracktor.com>.

Re: mod_perl MVC framework.

Posted by Mark Blackman <ma...@blackmans.org>.
On 24 Oct 2007, at 17:26, Tyler Bird wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Hey I was wondering if there was any MVC framework that anybody on
> this list could point
> me to that work work well with mod_perl.
>
> We are having difficulty finding a good MVC framework for perl.
>
> I have looked at HTML::Mason and the template toolkit today. I am
> not quite sure mason is a MVC framework.  The template toolkit
> looks promising.

TT is only the view part really, you want Catalyst. trust me. :)

http://www.catalystframework.org/

-Mark

Re: mod_perl MVC framework.

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:26:24 -0600
Tyler Bird <bi...@epromo.com> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Hey I was wondering if there was any MVC framework that anybody on
> this list could point
> me to that work work well with mod_perl.
>
> We are having difficulty finding a good MVC framework for perl.
>
> I have looked at HTML::Mason and the template toolkit today.
> I am not quite sure mason is a MVC framework.  The template toolkit
> looks promising.

  While everyone has already mentioned Catalyst, I thought I'd
  suggest Gantry as well ( www.usegantry.org ) as another MVC
  framework.  But I'm a bit biased as I had a hand in creating
  it! :)

  Gantry is very similar to Catalyst, but the biggest differences
  is in the sister projects of Bigtop and Tentmaker that drastically
  reduce the amount of time needed to create simple CRUD style apps.

   Frank Wiles, Revolution Systems, LLC.
     Personal : frank@wiles.org  http://www.wiles.org
     Work     : frank@revsys.com http://www.revsys.com

Re: mod_perl MVC framework.

Posted by Mystere Magoo <gi...@free.fr>.
Le Wednesday 24 October 2007 18:26:24 Tyler Bird, vous avez écrit :
> Hi List,
>
> Hey I was wondering if there was any MVC framework that anybody on this
> list could point
> me to that work work well with mod_perl.
>
> We are having difficulty finding a good MVC framework for perl.
>
> I have looked at HTML::Mason and the template toolkit today.
> I am not quite sure mason is a MVC framework.  The template toolkit
> looks promising.
>
> Tyler

Nobody using OpenInteract2...
With it you can use the template system you like TT2 or HTML::Template.
or others if you implement a new generator.
I18N is included,
You can easly separate your application in package, with external code
checker, and installer.

It comes with user, user group , statics html pages, observers, news,
themes/user managment, simple CRUD based on sql table, and fulltext search.

The native database class managment is SPOPS, including class with
relationships generation and security generation based on permission of
user/group/world owner , for the access to your database tables.

OpenInteract2 offers CommunAction to manipulate your datas, within callback
mecanism for customization in your new builtin package.

The CPAN version works under mod_perl1, it would be easy to port it to mp2.
But it still a dev release.

Gilles

Re: mod_perl MVC framework.

Posted by David Kaufman <da...@gigawatt.com>.
"Tyler Bird" <bi...@epromo.com> wrote...
> Hi List,

Hi Tyler,

> Hey I was wondering if there was any MVC framework that anybody on this
> list could point me to that work work well with mod_perl.
>
> We are having difficulty finding a good MVC framework for perl.

/me points you to -> CGI::Application

http://search.cpan.org/search?query=CGI::Application

hth,

-dav

RE: mod_perl MVC framework.

Posted by Peter Lytle <pe...@bluecampaigns.com>.
I'll throw in another vote for Catalyst as well - switched some apps to it a
few months ago, and I have been extremely happy with it since.  It is an
outstanding piece of work.

Pete