Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael B Allen <io...@gmail.com> on 2023/02/01 18:37:37 UTC

Re: [solved] How to debug 404s / How to enable error log

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 5:48 PM Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> and your configuration is missing
> catalina.properties
> context.xml
> logging.properties
>
> files that are required for proper operation.

Thanks.

I have confirmed that also copying logging.properties results in a
logs/catalina.2023-02-01.log file being created.

For posterity (mostly for me actually), the complete procedure for creating
a proper CATALINA_BASE is the following:

Directories that need to be created in CATALINA_BASE are:

bin
conf
logs
work
webapps
temp

Files that need to be copied from CATALINA_HOME\conf to CATALINA_BASE\conf
are:

server.xml
tomcat-users.xml
web.xml
catalina.properties
context.xml
logging.properties

A minimal bin/run.sh for Linux might look like:

#!/bin/sh

export JRE_HOME=/usr/local/java11
export CATALINA_HOME=/path/to/tomcat10
export CATALINA_BASE=/path/to/myapp-base

${CATALINA_HOME}/bin/catalina.sh run "$@"

A minimal bin\run.bat for Windows might look like:

setlocal

set "JRE_HOME=C:\tmp\java17"
set "CATALINA_HOME=C:\tmp\tomcat10"
set "CATALINA_BASE=C:\tmp\myapp-base"