Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> on 2013/10/16 16:52:52 UTC

Why aren't both HCatalog tests being updated?

Hi,

I've noticed a number of cases where one HCatalog test is modified but
the deprecated "pair" is not. Are we just forgetting or is this on
purpose?

Example:

https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/trunk/hcatalog/core/src/test/java/org/apache/hcatalog/mapreduce/TestHCatPartitionPublish.java#L153
https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/trunk/hcatalog/core/src/test/java/org/apache/hcatalog/mapreduce/TestHCatPartitionPublish.java#L153

Example:

https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/trunk/hcatalog/webhcat/java-client/src/test/java/org/apache/hive/hcatalog/api/TestHCatClient.java#L122
https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/trunk/hcatalog/webhcat/java-client/src/test/java/org/apache/hcatalog/api/TestHCatClient.java#L125

Brock

Re: Why aren't both HCatalog tests being updated?

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
It sounds like we are just forgetting. Please consider this a friendly
reminder to update both tests if you are fixing some environmental or
bug in the tests.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Not to dig up an old debate, but this was a reason I was not a fan of
supporting 2x copies of tests. Code ownership post commit is a rather
tricky problem in this project.

Posted by Eugene Koifman <ek...@hortonworks.com>.
I don't have a good answer for this

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Agreed, but notice that the changes I reference are fixes for tests.
> Why wouldn't they be replicated?
>
> Example:
>

> https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/trunk/hcatalog/core/src/test/java/org/apache/hive/hcatalog/mapreduce/TestHCatPartitionPublish.java#L160
>
> https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/trunk/hcatalog/core/src/test/java/org/apache/hcatalog/mapreduce/TestHCatPartitionPublish.java#L153
>
> Example:
>

> https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/trunk/hcatalog/webhcat/java-client/src/test/java/org/apache/hive/hcatalog/api/TestHCatClient.java#L122
>
> https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/trunk/hcatalog/webhcat/java-client/src/test/java/org/apache/hcatalog/api/TestHCatClient.java#L125
>
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Eugene Koifman
> <ek...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> > As a general rule, everything in org.apache.hcatalog is deprecated and
> > frozen at 0.11 version.  All new features/bug fixes should be made in
> > org.apache.hive.hcatalog.
> >

> > On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've noticed a number of cases where one HCatalog test is modified but
> >> the deprecated "pair" is not. Are we just forgetting or is this on
> >> purpose?
> >>
> >> Example:
> >>

> https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/trunk/hcatalog/core/src/test/java/org/apache/hcatalog/mapreduce/TestHCatPartitionPublish.java#L153
> >>

> https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/trunk/hcatalog/core/src/test/java/org/apache/hcatalog/mapreduce/TestHCatPartitionPublish.java#L153
> >>
> >> Example:
> >>

> https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/trunk/hcatalog/webhcat/java-client/src/test/java/org/apache/hive/hcatalog/api/TestHCatClient.java#L122
> >>

> https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/trunk/hcatalog/webhcat/java-client/src/test/java/org/apache/hcatalog/api/TestHCatClient.java#L125
> >>
> >> Brock
> >>

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Why aren't both HCatalog tests being updated?

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Eugene Koifman <ek...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE