Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Xuloo <tr...@xuloo.cc> on 2014/08/27 07:31:26 UTC

ActiveMQ & Persistence?

Not sure if this is a camel issue or more specific to activemq - so apologies
if it's OT for this list.

I'm working on a relatively simple Camel application which simply receives
data via a servlet and passes the payload of the HTTP request into an
ActiveMQ queue.

It works perfectly - however, when i connect to the ActiveMQ queue from a
client application the client is sent everything on the queue. I only want
it to receive what's been added to the queue since the client connected -
not everything that's ever been added to the queue.

Is this managed by the 'persistence' attribute of the ActiveMQ broker? Or
can it be done from the camel configuration (i'm using a spring config for
camel and the broker).

Re: ActiveMQ & Persistence?

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 08/27/2014 01:31 AM, Xuloo wrote:
> Not sure if this is a camel issue or more specific to activemq - so apologies
> if it's OT for this list.
>
> I'm working on a relatively simple Camel application which simply receives
> data via a servlet and passes the payload of the HTTP request into an
> ActiveMQ queue.
>
> It works perfectly - however, when i connect to the ActiveMQ queue from a
> client application the client is sent everything on the queue. I only want
> it to receive what's been added to the queue since the client connected -
> not everything that's ever been added to the queue.
>
> Is this managed by the 'persistence' attribute of the ActiveMQ broker? Or
> can it be done from the camel configuration (i'm using a spring config for
> camel and the broker).

This is the nature of a Queue, if you only want to receive messages
broadcast while a client is online and do not require them to be stored
then take a look at a Topic instead.

http://activemq.apache.org/how-does-a-queue-compare-to-a-topic.html

--
Tim Bish