Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Emden R. Gansner" <er...@research.att.com> on 2002/03/05 20:23:41 UTC

Fonts in Batik

Where does Batik look for fonts? Is there a way to specify this?
When I run Batik on one machine, with an SVG file containing
style="font-family:Times-Roman", it displays correctly. On another
machine, no text appears.

On a related point, are there any values of "font-family" that Batik
is guaranteed to support? Is so, how would I find out?

Thanks.
--
    Emden R. Gansner                      erg@research.att.com
    AT&T Labs - Research                  (973) 360-8646

Re: Fonts in Batik

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
Thomas E Deweese wrote:

> EG> Where does Batik look for fonts? Is there a way to specify this?
>
>     This is all controlled by the JVM.  There are ways to specify what
> fonts the JVM loads (the one I know of is jre/lib/font.properties).  I
> suspect there are others but I don't know what they are. Help anyone?

The font.properties file will let you map names to System fonts. On
Windows, the JVM will give you access to the fonts from the system font
directory and to fonts in the <jdk-install-dir>/jre/lib/fonts directory.

In addition, any SVG font can be referenced by an SVG document. This
actually guarantees that you will not run into platform differences
and you can see examples in the samples/tests/spec/font directory.

Cheers,
Vincent.

Fonts in Batik

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

EG> Where does Batik look for fonts? Is there a way to specify this?

    This is all controlled by the JVM.  There are ways to specify what
fonts the JVM loads (the one I know of is jre/lib/font.properties).  I
suspect there are others but I don't know what they are. Help anyone?

EG> When I run Batik on one machine, with an SVG file containing
EG> style="font-family:Times-Roman", it displays correctly. On another
EG> machine, no text appears.

EG> On a related point, are there any values of "font-family" that
EG> Batik is guaranteed to support? Is so, how would I find out?

    All the font handling stuff comes from CSS2 so if you look at
15.2.2 in the CSS to specification you can see that there are five
generic families: 'serif', 'sans-serif', 'cursive', 'fantasy', and
'monospace'.