Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com> on 2014/07/23 03:54:48 UTC

Why is the cassandra documentation such poor quality?

This document:

https://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations

… for example.  Is extremely out dated… does NOT reflect 2.x releases
certainly.  Mentions commands that are long since removed/deprecated.

Instead of giving bad documentation, maybe remove this and mark it as
obsolete.

The datastax documentation… is … acceptable I guess.  My main criticism
there is that a lot of it it is in their blog.

Kevin

--

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*

Re: Why is the cassandra documentation such poor quality?

Posted by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com>.
On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 4:55 AM, Jason Wee <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree to the people here already sharing their ways to access
> documentation. If you are starter, you should better spend time to search
> for documentation (like using google) or hours to read. Then start ask
> specific question. Coming here kpkb about poor quality of documentation
> just does not cut it.

You clearly didn't look at my post history.

Further, you CAN'T just spend time searching google and reading, because
the documentation is all over the place, inaccurate, etc.

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com> wrote:

> I have a lot of experience in distribute systems, understand the space
> well, but I just can't find documentation on how cassandra does things from
> a high level perspective.

My belief as to the reason why you are unable to find design documents
which explicate the design principles behind Apache Cassandra is that
neither exist.

I continue to be a firm believer that a documented set of design principles
we all agree are "Cassandric" would be very helpful in cases where we need
to evaluate whether proposed patches are "Cassandric" enough to merge.

My plan is to just use the source code for reference.  Not everyone has
> that option though…

This, and people who have done the same and combined it with following JIRA
for regressions/bugfixes, are the path to the most accurate understanding
of how any given release of Cassandra works.

=Rob

Re: Why is the cassandra documentation such poor quality?

Posted by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com>.
This is a great post… and really does a great job of summarizing the
problems I have with the cassandra documentation.

I realize that Datastax is trying to step in and fix the problem.. but
there are now a lot of parties involved (JIRA tickets, blog posts, datastax
doc, apache doc, etc) … it's all over the place.

Some coordination is needed.

My suggestions would be:

- take the apache wiki and documentation offline or put it in legacy… it's
NOT helping Cassandra or Datastax new users when people stumble on old
documentation giving them bad advice for commands that no longer exist.

- take the datastax documentation and perhaps have Apache link to it or
have Datastax contribute the documentation to Apache.  It's not helping
Datastax when their potential customers look at Cassandra and see poor and
inconsistent documentation.

- take some of the blog posts / JIRA tickets, and document the outcome
somewhere.  We can't have documentation hidden.

- make sure Google returns the right documentation for queries.

- make sure to include the version in the documentation on which version of
cassandra it applies to…

- consider using the MySQL documentation as an example.  They've done a
GREAT job maintaining their documentation over the years. IMO.

… I think part of the problem is that the cassandra community has a lot of
people who already know the ins and outs… so they don't see how difficult
the problem is from a new user perspective.

Posted by Redmumba <re...@gmail.com>.
A lot of the information about the compaction strategies would be
incredibly useful in the docs as well:
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/leveled-compaction-in-apache-cassandra

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
for starters all of the blog entries related to CQL3, like the change in
terminology and compact storage.

the last time I looked at the datastax documentation on CQL3, it wasn't
nearly as detailed as the blog entries by jonathan ellis and sylvain.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
there's quite a few blog entries on Datastax blog that really should be
included in the docs

Posted by Hao Cheng <br...@critica.io>.

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Okunew <na...@gmail.com>.
No - it took me a little while to see what is going on with datastax, I
wasn't interested in datastax/DSE. I was interested in Cassandra.

I see the value of datastax supporting Cassandra, I think it's a lot
further along than it would have been without their support. But they've
also vacuumed up all the knowledge and talent and 'sell' it. They have a
good business model and I don't have anything against them, but I do think
that a lot of the knowledge and detail is locked up in their docs. I don't
think its particularly well managed - in particular most of the important
stuff being in blog format - you need to interpret the timeframes and a lot
more to really figure out what current best practice is and feature sets
available to you are. Otherwise you're digging through documentation of
enterprise software trying to figure out which bits apply to you.

A few examples:
There has been a bit of chatter about counter columns not being right,
maybe unstable, but they'll be much better in 2.1 flavours. However they're
50% of the reason I went with C* at the time, and everything I was reading
was sending me in that direction. The information I was reading was only
correct at a point in time.

The other 50% was dynamic columns, but there was (and still is I think) a
lot of confusion around CQL3 and thrift style wide rows. All of the
confusion is around the nonclamenture and the point in time the docs you
happen to be reading were written. Something as integral as partition and
cluster keys requires interpretation to understand - that doesn't seem
right.

Anyway, I will check out the training, its been a while since I've been
learning - mostly doing lately.

Posted by Nicholas Okunew <na...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Wee <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.

Posted by Dave Brosius <db...@mebigfatguy.com>.

We had a massive spam problem before we locked down the wiki, so
unfortunately that was the choice we had to make. But as stated we can
add you to the contributers list.

What is your Wiki user name?

 --
http://spawgi.wordpress.com [6]
 We can do it and do it better.

Links:
------
[1] http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra
[2] https://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations
[3] http://spinn3r.com/
[4] http://burtonator.wordpress.com/
[5] https://plus.google.com/102718274791889610666/posts
[6] http://spawgi.wordpress.com

Re: Why is the cassandra documentation such poor quality?

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
it supports CQL, but it's through thrift. I don't currently support native
protocol, since that was evolving rapidly last year when I made the port.

I state clearly on nectar-client wiki on google code that it supports CQL3
via thrift. I've pretty much given up on cassandra wiki. Using my blog to
share knowledge about Cassandra is quicker, easier and immediate. Downside
is it doesn't come up on google search, so it's really just for myself and
my friends.

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.

    On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@datastax.com> wrote:

      It only takes a moment to ask to be added as a wiki contributor; if you email the dev list or ask on irc, somebody with privileges will ordinarily add you within a day. It may be a psychological barrier, but it isn't really a practical one. Still, if you feel the policy is incorrect, raise this on the dev list also.

      On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com> wrote:

        I've tried to contribute docs to Cassandra wiki in the past, but there's an obstacle.

        currently wiki.apache.org/cassandra is locked down, so only commiters can edit it. I really wish that wasn't the case, since it wastes time. the commiters are busy writing code. Having to email a commiter and ask them to update it feels silly to me and kind of goes against openness. Back when I was active with JMeter, we decided to leave it open so that anyone can edit the docs.

Posted by Jake Luciani <ja...@gmail.com>.
I'll note that historically the wiki used to be open to all and due massive
amounts of spam it was put on lockdown by the ASF.

If there is a better platform the community feels would make it simpler to
provide community based documentation then we should consider it.
The ASF also has confluence wiki which might be simpler for users to
contribute to? (at least they have captchas)

-Jake

--
http://twitter.com/tjake

Re: Why is the cassandra documentation such poor quality?

Posted by Jeremy Jongsma <je...@barchart.com>.
My experience is similar to Nicholas'. Basic usage was easy to get a handle
on, but the advanced tuning/tweaking info is scattered EVERYWHERE around
the web, mostly on personal blogs. It feels like it took way too long to
become confident enough in my understanding of Cassandra that I trust our
deployment configuration in production.

Without this mailing list I would still be on the fence.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ben Hood <0x...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I sent a request to add a link my .Net driver for cassandra to the wiki
> over 5 weeks back and no response at all.

TL;DR There is something wrong with Cassandra information sharing, but I am
partly to blame.

My experience has not been too dissimilar to Peter's. I've had raised JIRA
tickets that haven't been answered and requests to the wiki that haven't
been answered. But I do appreciate that everybody is busy and things do
slip through the cracks sometimes, as they do with things I'm responsible
for.

That said, I have received help from community via this mailing list, for
which I am grateful. For example, when I was trying to get an update to the
Apache wiki, Brady from DataStax helped me out with the Planet Cassandra
wiki.

In defence of the people trying to manage Cassandra, some of the
limitations are down to the structure of Apache projects. I don't want to
start an issue tracker flame war, but I feel that a lot of oversight has
gone missing in Apache's JIRA installation. Last week I raised a ticket
that was (incorrectly) marked as a duplicate, due to an oversight in the
affected version field. The reason for this is the unhelpful way the JIRA
page was rendered - I can completely empathize with the person who closed
it.

Because of things like this, I always think four times over before raising
a ticket in JIRA. This is also not the right approach either, and I am
partly to blame. Just this week, a member of the community took the time to
do the right thing when raising a issue and they also went to effort of
supplying a patch for the issue I had chosen not to put into JIRA.

So I think there is something wrong with the way the community is sharing
its common knowledge, but I don't have a better suggestion. How are you
going to get a bunch of disparate people together to write cohesive
documentation that is in sync with the current release?

Furthermore, As a maintainer of a CQL driver, I have little if any contact
with any contact with any of the other driver maintainers. They must be out
there, but I don't know of a forum for them. It might not be needed, but
sometimes I feel like it should. So I'm just as guilty as everybody else of
not creating this community.

Re: Why is the cassandra documentation such poor quality?

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sp...@gmail.com.

--
http://spawgi.wordpress.com
We can do it and do it better.

Re: Why is the cassandra documentation such poor quality?

Posted by Robert Stupp <sn...@snazy.de>.
Just a note:

Posted by Mark Reddy <ma...@boxever.com>.
Hi Kevin,