Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> on 2013/07/31 02:42:15 UTC

Re: Creating a new project

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Joachim Dreimann <
joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 17 June 2013 17:08, David Galligani <da...@ntwoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On 06/17/2013 06:02 PM, CMurphy@jerviswebb.com wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks, David.
> >>
> >> So Products is the same as Projects?
> >>
> > I can't say ...
> > I don't know what you mean for Project :)
> > But I think that's what you want .
> >

> Yes, we decided to call them Products some time back. They're the same
> thing currently as Projects were in Trac, with the major difference to Trac
> being of course that you can have more than one (read: many) of them.
>
> "Product" better reflects how many organisations develop software: They
> sell it (or give it away) as products, or they use it internally as
> products to do jobs. They are reasonably permanent and many iterations,
> versions, milestones, and projects may improve a product over time.
>
> A project is something you do to achieve an aim, like create introduce a
> major change to a product or create a product in the first place. Or take
> on a project for a client if you're in a consultancy. By definition they
> are more transient. We may re-introduce projects in the future for those
> purposes.
>
> I hope that helps to explain some of the reasoning behind our decision. You
> can change the label to project if you prefer in the TracIni file:
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/TracIni
>
> wiki.label = Wiki
> tickets.label = Tickets
> products.label = Products
>
> Cheers,
>  Joe

The meaning of "Products" , and whether Projects are the same as Products
seems to be a frequently asked question. A user on IRC raised this question
again this evening, and made the very good point that the Bloodhound UI
uses the term "Products" and our Change Log on the front page of i.a.o
refers these things as "Products", however on that same page we have a
heading describing one of Bloodhound's key features: "Multiple Projects".
On apache.bloodhound.org we also talk about "Projects" rather than
"Products". The pages that describe "Multiple Projects" have been around
since the beginning of Bloodhound, but maybe we need to be more precise
with our own terminology since we seem to be confusing new users.

Re: Creating a new project

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Joachim Dreimann <
joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:

> I've now changed bloodhound.apache.org and our
> issues.apache.org/bloodhoundlanding page to refer to Products instead
> of projects.

Looking good! Thanks for taking care of that.

I imagine this is a bit like the use of "incubator" and URLs that point to
the old incubator pages, in that we'll be finding uses of "project" buried
throughout our documentation for months (it looks like Gary or a user on
IRC spotted some incubator URLs somewhere in our documentation earlier this
week). I'll try to keep an eye out for any more changes that might be
needed.

Re: Creating a new project

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

--
Joachim Dreimann | *User Experience Manager*

WANdisco // *Non-Stop Data*

e. joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com
twitter @jdreimann <https://twitter.com/jdreimann>