Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> on 2013/05/01 08:55:28 UTC

Re: GSoC 2013 application form

On 4/26/13, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 25/04/2013 janI wrote:
>> I find your document quite good (a
>> little light on details), and I look forward to help you (among others)
>> with a projects that will benefit many end-users.
>
> It's time to discuss this a bit. The project as a whole is clearly going
> to give the best possible support to Rajath and other GSoC applicants,
> but we need a technical mentor for each project, i.e., someone who can
> help with the actual programming, evaluate/integrate code, suggest how
> to improve it according to the project's best practices and so on.
>
> If I understood correctly Alexandro posted the idea as a "promoter", but
> he won't be the "technical mentor" we need to identify (or are you going
> to take care of this, Alexandro? I just note you are not a regular code
> contributor in that area -neither I am, of course- but I may be wrong
> about your intentions). So, even though everybody on the list can help,
> who is available to act as the main technical mentor for Rajath and take
> responsibility for evaluating the outcome if the application gets accepted?

>From my conversations with other mentors of projects, the degree of
coding expertise is relative, as much of the help needed is to get
around the information that resides on the documentation and such.
Even if I have commit rights, most of the final projects end up on
bugzilla as a patch, and is up to the team to accept it, reject until
adjustment or reject it permanently.

I also hope that most of the mentors are more active on
#dev.openoffice.org to increase the feedback flow on technical
matters.

As far as this project goes, most of the coding will need to be
external, almost like an extension. I would need to research this
project a bit more, but the reality is that we havent really make a
good job promoting the GSOC project and even if we experience a good
uptake the first weeks, it quickly died down.

This might not be up to AOO alone, a lot of people have experienced
50% - 70% reduction in proposals from last year.

> Regards,
>    Andrea.

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: GSoC 2013 application form

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 01/05/2013 Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 4:03 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>
>>> We still need one technical mentor able to provide timely advice on the
>>> real code and taking responsibility for it ...
>>>
>>> we can offer our students higher expectations of a successful completion
>>> in
>>> that case.
>>>
>> I am not sure thats a requirement.
>>

> Successful completion is an important indicator for the GSoC program and
> this project has the duty to provide adequate assistance. A GSoC proposal
> not backed by a technical mentor has lower chances to succeed and it is
> normal that we privilege proposals that the project developers have
> interest in following.
>
>  applications and available slots
>>> are not so bad (and actually there isn't a decrease for OpenOffice)...
>>>
>> How do you know if there is or not a decrease? Last time OpenOffice was on
>> GSOC was in 2005.
>>

> Indeed. There can't be any decrease as we haven't had any GSoC project
> since the project moved to Apache. Previous GSoC experiences are not
> comparable due to the radical context change since 2005.

What is this year total number of aplicants for AOO related projects?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 4:03 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>
>> From my conversations with other mentors of projects, the degree of
>> coding expertise is relative, as much of the help needed is to get
>> around the information that resides on the documentation and such.
>>

> We still need one technical mentor able to provide timely advice on the
> real code and taking responsibility for it, since GSoC has fixed deadlines.
> It is clear from the current discussions that in this respect we are
> better-equipped for the "CMIS UCP" project than for "Extension wizard to
> import table to database". So I'd favor applications for "CMIS UCP" since
> we can offer our students higher expectations of a successful completion in
> that case.

I am not sure thats a requirement.

>  This might not be up to AOO alone, a lot of people have experienced
>> 50% - 70% reduction in proposals from last year.
>>

> In general, for Apache projects the pattern is that the bottleneck is in
> the number of available technical mentors: applications and available slots
> are not so bad (and actually there isn't a decrease for OpenOffice), but
> finding the right mentors is problematic across all the ASF projects.

How do you know if there is or not a decrease? Last time OpenOffice was on
GSOC was in 2005. And there was around 5 successful projects and 2 failed
projects.

Right now we only have around 3 proposals.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> From my conversations with other mentors of projects, the degree of
> coding expertise is relative, as much of the help needed is to get
> around the information that resides on the documentation and such.

We still need one technical mentor able to provide timely advice on the
real code and taking responsibility for it, since GSoC has fixed
deadlines. It is clear from the current discussions that in this respect
we are better-equipped for the "CMIS UCP" project than for "Extension
wizard to import table to database". So I'd favor applications for "CMIS
UCP" since we can offer our students higher expectations of a successful
completion in that case.