Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> on 2015/12/30 15:55:41 UTC

Non-voted Release Candidate binary downloadable from project homepage possible?

Hello,

We at project FreeMarker intend to issue a Release Candidate under
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/. Note that it's just
"dev", not "release". There will be both source and binary RC release
artifacts. As I understand, this so far doesn't require any voting, as
it will be the subject of the later voting (on dev@freemaker first).

The binary artifact will be linked on the top of the FreeMarker
homepage for testing for one month. At least this is how it was done
prior ASF. An RC like that used to have around a 50-100 downloads
during the RC period (plus the Maven staging repo downloads), so
hopefully it's not a technical issue that it's a download directly
from "repos".

Is this procedure OK in ASF? I mean, we *kind of* publish something
that wasn't voted on, at least not on incubator general.

 Daniel Dekany

---

Re: Non-voted Release Candidate binary downloadable from project homepage possible?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 30/12/2015 14:55, Daniel Dekany wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We at project FreeMarker intend to issue a Release Candidate under
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/. Note that it's just
> "dev", not "release". There will be both source and binary RC release
> artifacts. As I understand, this so far doesn't require any voting, as
> it will be the subject of the later voting (on dev@freemaker first).
>
> The binary artifact will be linked on the top of the FreeMarker
> homepage for testing for one month. At least this is how it was done
> prior ASF. An RC like that used to have around a 50-100 downloads
> during the RC period (plus the Maven staging repo downloads), so
> hopefully it's not a technical issue that it's a download directly
> from "repos".
>
> Is this procedure OK in ASF? I mean, we *kind of* publish something
> that wasn't voted on, at least not on incubator general.

No.

RC's should not be visible to ordinary users. It is OK to link to them
from the developer pages (the ones that point to source repos, explain
who to provide patches etc,) but not from anywhere that is not developer
focussed.

Similarly, you can announce them on developer mailing lists but not user
mailing lists.

Mark

Re: Non-voted Release Candidate binary downloadable from project homepage possible?

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Jan 7, 2016 20:48, "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> I wanted to get others opinions.  Currently Freemarker creates two
> artifacts - one is a GAE compatible module, the other is a regular
> library.  They are created from two distinct branches in their SCM.  Are
> those artifacts voted on together or separately?

The source code tarball is the subject of the release vote.  Since these
are two branches used to create two separate packages, I would expect these
are subject to two distinct votes.

The resulting binaries or other output from building these packages are not
subject to a vote, they just need to be reproducible by anyone who obtains
the sources.

Re: Non-voted Release Candidate binary downloadable from project homepage possible?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
All,

I wanted to get others opinions.  Currently Freemarker creates two
artifacts - one is a GAE compatible module, the other is a regular
library.  They are created from two distinct branches in their SCM.  Are
those artifacts voted on together or separately?

John

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015, 9:33:27 PM, John D. Ament wrote:

> [...]
> Distribution Policy_ documents.
>
>     http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy
>     http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution
>
> Those policy documents (not the accompanying FAQs, just the Policies) are
> canonical.
>
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 6:55 AM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:
>
>> We at project FreeMarker intend to issue a Release Candidate under
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/. Note that it's just
>> "dev", not "release".
>
> Good so far... the `dev` section of `dist.apache.org` is precisely the right
> place to upload release candidates to share with other members of the
> FreeMarker dev community.
>
>> There will be both source and binary RC release artifacts.
>
> OK, but please note the source and binary archives are not equal.  The source
> archive is the official release and (from the perspective of the Foundation)
> the binary is optional.
>
>> As I understand, this so far doesn't require any voting, as
>> it will be the subject of the later voting (on dev@freemaker first).
>
> Correct -- putting the RC archive into the `dev` section of `dist.apache.org`
> does not require previous PMC approval.
>
>> The binary artifact will be linked on the top of the FreeMarker
>> homepage for testing for one month. At least this is how it was done
>> prior ASF. An RC like that used to have around a 50-100 downloads
>> during the RC period (plus the Maven staging repo downloads), so
>> hopefully it's not a technical issue that it's a download directly
>> from "repos".
>
> There are two problems here.
>
> First, please do not expose unreleased materials to people outside the dev
> community.
>
>     http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy#publication
>
>     ... Projects MUST direct outsiders towards official releases rather than
>     raw source repositories, nightly builds, snapshots, release candidates, or
>     any other similar packages. The only people who are supposed to know about
>     such developer resources are individuals actively participating in
>     development or following the dev list and thus aware of the conditions
>     placed on unreleased materials.
>
> Second, please do not provide any direct links to the ASF's subversion
> repositories from public-facing download pages.  This holds not only for
> release candidates but also for approved official releases.  Anything that
> ends up in the `release` section of `dist.apache.org` is also available from
> the ASF mirror network -- please use the mirror network for distribution to
> the general public.
>
>> Is this procedure OK in ASF? I mean, we *kind of* publish something
>> that wasn't voted on, at least not on incubator general.
>
> If it is important to you for the user community to test out a version of the
> software before it become official, the solution is to run two VOTEs: one for
> the beta (or whatever you want to call it) and one for the final release.

 Daniel Dekany

---

Re: Non-voted Release Candidate binary downloadable from project homepage possible?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
Hi Daniel,