Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/01 00:53:45 UTC

Re: Issues with metrics collection

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:09:03AM -0700, Kiran Nagasubramanian wrote:
> Thanks for the response Jun and Otis.
>
> Jun, you're right. Only the leaders are reporting. One of the brokers is
> not a leader for any of the partitions. Found the following info on the
> documentation page:
>
> leader is the node responsible for all reads and writes for the given
> partition. Each node will be the leader for a *randomly* selected portion
> of the partitions.
>
> I've been was under an assumption that the leadership for partitions is
> distributed across all the brokers. *Is there a way to make all the brokers
> take leadership as much evenly as possible?*

It is distributed, although it may not be an optimal distribution.
i.e., as long as you have more than just a handful of topics the
leader counts across the brokers should be relatively even. If you do
a rolling bounce of the cluster the leader counts can get skewed in
which case you can run a preferred replica leader election operation:
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#basic_ops_leader_balancing