Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Hans Ulrich Niedermann <ni...@isd.uni-stuttgart.de> on 2000/09/15 00:29:44 UTC

Re: CVS XSP

Morrison  John <jo...@experian.com> writes:

> I've considered doing an XSP logicsheet to do this, but some none of
> the JavaCVS clients appear to either
> a) work very well
> b) don't yet implement required functionality
> c) the architecture isn't very clear/clean
>
> There's also the problem that you have to have a checked out
> repository on the machine which is serving requests, ie:
>
> browser -> Apache/Cocoon + local repository -> (CVS instruction) -> CVS Server
>
> where CVS instruction is, for example, log of a file.
>
> Problems:
> * Diskspace
> * Update frequency
> * Initially checking out the code (time...)
> * request latency (ie query to you, request to CVS server, wait,
>   response from CVS server, you transform, reply!)
>
> Any takers I'll certainly help but my time is _very_ limited.

The Roxen webserver <URL:http://www.roxen.com/> has the nifty feature
of "mounting" a CVS tree somewhere into the URI space. This feature
lets you access the current revision of all files I through the web
server.

I don't know how they solve all these problems, but I have used this
CVS mount feature with a local CVS repository and it worked quite
well then (end of 1998/early 1999).

Uli

Re: CVS XSP

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 12:29:44AM +0200, Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
> The Roxen webserver <URL:http://www.roxen.com/> has the nifty feature
> of "mounting" a CVS tree somewhere into the URI space. This feature
> lets you access the current revision of all files I through the web
> server.
> I don't know how they solve all these problems, but I have used this
> CVS mount feature with a local CVS repository and it worked quite
> well then (end of 1998/early 1999).

There is also an apache module performing the same role, so you
may be able work it out from that, too.

Paul

--
Paul Russell                               <pa...@luminas.co.uk>