Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/14 13:38:05 UTC

[FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Hi All,

Erik on dev [1] list came up wit interesting question. I'm posting it also
here:

With the upcoming fork and renewed focus and most likely some publicity, I
want to ask the community to answer this question:

Why should a web dev choose FlexJS to write JS applications, and not go
with a more mainstream option like e.g. TypeScript/Angular?

I think that if we can answer that question in a compelling way, we are in
a good place as a project (from a code perspective, at least) and it gives
the marketing folks something to work with.

[1]
http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FLEXJS-Marketing-why-should-a-web-dev-choose-FlexJS-td64292.html

Thanks,
Piotr

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the the response. This is good stuff!

We could use all the help we can to get this right! :-)

Harbs

Posted by "Berty Tonta (Leadstalk)" <be...@leadstalk.pro>.

Posted by Berty Tonta <be...@gmail.com>.
I'm definitely counting on FlexJS.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Adam Malejko <ad...@malejko.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/32497faf105a4eeac28d082159b232e514f60e

Posted by Adam Malejko <ad...@malejko.com>.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Table+Of+Components

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Adam,

If using a React-based DataGrid is important to you, and that will get you
involved as a contributor, we can try to help you make that happen.

Let us know,
-Alex

Posted by Adam Malejko <ad...@malejko.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Adam,

Posted by Adam Malejko <ad...@malejko.com>.
More strengths to add:

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Berty,

very interesting thoughts to think about.

Thanks for sharing!

--

<http://www.codeoscopic.com>

Carlos Rovira

Director General

M: +34 607 22 60 05

http://www.codeoscopic.com

http://www.avant2.es

Conocenos en 1 minuto! <https://youtu.be/P2IEAYDG5HU>

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Berty,

Posted by "Berty Tonta (Leadstalk)" <be...@leadstalk.pro>.

Posted by gkk gb <mo...@comcast.net>.
In addition to...

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Carlos,

When that topic comes up, I talk about corporate-driven open source vs
Apache open source.  Corporate-driven open source has the advantage of
serious money and marketing, but the disadvantage of an individual
customer having less impact.  In Apache open source, especially Flex where
there isn't a lot of people from any one corporation, the individual
customer can have a major impact. If you have a bug you need fixed in the
framework and have earned commit rights in an Apache project, you just go
and put in your fix.  It may not be as easy to do that in corporate-driven
projects.  Just think back to the Adobe days.  That was also
corporate-driven open source.  Could you get a bug fixed added to the code
at the last minute before a release?  Adobe had product managers
prioritizing everything in order to make a deadline.

Of course, I could be wrong...
-Alex

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi, ok that's an argument that I was not considering. Still think that
people are more confortable with projects managed by a large company.
Apache has great name and if project gets to a good shape a maturity I
think OS foundations are better than a big company that can change the
product or kill it when they want.

Maybe we are now in a position of disadvantage but we could change that as
we progress in the following months and years.

So, not as bad as I thought....

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

What's the feeling here about the trend of replacing web sites with mobile
apps? I realize that not everyone in the world has a smart phone or tablet
and now the baseline is a simple computer with a browser, but it seems
more often that a company-specific app gets the end user more. These are
probably more expensive to produce as well.

It seems to me that FlexJS would also help in this manner, too. We have
integration with AIR and Cordova and perhaps we could one day generate
more native apps (perhaps MXML/AS -> Java or Swift).

If you have been developing a web app with FlexJS, then you are probably
more than halfway to getting a mobile app going as well. Whereas a pure
JavaScript (or JS/HTML) site would have a tougher time making that
transition.

—peter

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by 0xC3 <ts...@outlook.com>.
I spend most of my time in embedded machine controllers, so c binaries would
be nice. Honestly I don't have a preference right now because my customers
are happy with AIR as their replacement for Flash Player, but as always the
winds of change will bring a new thing and I will have to port to that.

If I have to back to browsers, I think WebAssembly (or the idea of it)
sounds good.

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

Yes, we may target other output besides JS someday.  Are there any you
consider important?

Thanks in advance,
-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

Thanks for your history and thoughts.

I think we agree that FlexJS or whatever we call it is trying to hide the
bad parts of JS and improve developer productivity by letting you use
declarative and structured languages from a single provider.

I may have misunderstood your point about the output taking precedence
over the language, but for sure we do have to spend quite a bit of energy
worrying about the output because we don't have Flash to hide the browser
differences.

Anyway, sorry to keep repeating myself, but the main reason for even our
lurkers to get more involved is to help control your destiny as well.  If
you are happy with AIR and still using Apache Flex but run into a bug, you
can more directly get it fixed.  If you want to make sure FlexJS support
for AIR is sufficient for you to write new AIR apps in FlexJS so you can
more easily target something else someday, you can help make that happen
as well.

Thanks for speaking up.  We'd like to hear from other lurkers as well.

-Alex

Posted by gkk gb <mo...@comcast.net>.
> Does that help clarify?

Absolutely! Thanks so much