Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com> on 2006/11/15 23:42:05 UTC

Special Purpose (Derivative) Applications

Just a quick note on something related to some conversations I've had
recently (including one at the users conference), and this Jira issue:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-226

There seems to be some interest in creating more special purpose
applications that are meant to be used generally by a person in a
specific role, or that are meant to work along with the "core"
applications but make things easier for certain activities or
processes. We might eventually have lots of these (including this
one), so it might be good to have a separate top level folder for
these so that they don't have to do in the "applications" folder.

In a way this would be like the old "specialized" folder, but with a
couple of distinctions. These components should be:

- limited in scope to a certain role or activity in an organization
- be mostly based on existing artifacts (forms, services, entities,
etc) in the components in the applications directory
- should have enough interest from multiple parties that they will
likely be maintained over time
- should not become personal crusades that are almost a fork of OFBiz
itself (ie functionality should always go in the applications
directory components and be re-used and special purposed in these add-
on components)

Some examples that people have talked about or that exist elsewhere
would be applications for:

- Asset Maintenance (special UI pulling from Facility, Product,
Accounting, Order, etc)
- Sales Force Automation (special UI pulling from Party, Marketing,
Product, Order, etc)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or what we might call it? In
general these are aggregations of screens from the "core
applications", plus special screens to tie things together and enable
specific processes or activities.

-David

Re: Special Purpose (Derivative) Applications

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
Human resources should start out as a generic application like the
others in OFBiz, and perhaps variations on it after the basic stuff
is developed would make sense as special purpose add-on apps. As I
mentioned these special purpose apps should whenever possible reuse
resources in the generic applications, so naturally the generic
application needs to exist first.

-David

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
David,

that's really great!
It looks like you did a lot of work to setup this thing, thanks!

Jacopo

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
That's great.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Posted by Anil Patel <to...@gmail.com>.
I have created Issue for Asset Maintenance application.

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-437

We have this application running in testing/user acceptance phase. Is it
possible to use this application as Pilot project?

Regards
Anil Patel

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
David,