Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by "Zachary, Carlton - Hoboken" <cz...@wiley.com> on 2011/09/02 06:32:42 UTC

ATS not caching

Hello all,

I am new to Traffic Server.  Can anyone tell me how to configure TS to cache objects?  When i check the squid.log in var/logs/trafficserver all objects say TCP_MISS.  I currently have TS setup as a reverse proxy.  The admin documentation, but it doesn't give much detail on how to configure.

Thanks

Antw: Re: ATS not caching

Posted by Sascha Klose <Sa...@cewecolor.de>.
As default we use "ETag" with our Apache HTTP Server.

Bye
Sascha

>>> "Sascha Klose" <Sa...@cewecolor.de> 13.09.2011 12:05 >>>
Hi,

I have the same problem. Something was changed from 2.1.7-unstable to
3.0.1. I use ATS as a reverse proxy with a cache.conf like this:

url_regex=/download/health_check.html   action=never-cache
url_regex=/supportchat                  action=never-cache
dest_domain=xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx            scheme=http     revalidate=1h

My backend servers are Apache 2.x with no explicit cache-control or
expire-header set. ATS 2.1.7 cache the content, ATS 3.0.1 not. If I
configure the expire-headers in my backend-server than ATS 3.0.1 cache
the content.

Proposition or mistake in ATS 3.0.1 in comparison with ATS 2.1.7?

Bye

Sascha

On 09/01/2011 10:32 PM, Zachary, Carlton - Hoboken wrote:
> Hell
> I am new to Traffic Server.  Can anyone tell me how to configure TS
> cache objects?  When i check the squid.log in var/logs/trafficserver

> all objects say TCP_MISS.  I currently have TS setup as a reverse
> proxy.  The admin documentation, but it doesn't give much detail on
> how to configure.

Is the content cacheable ? We (by default) require explicit
Cache-Control and/or Expires: headers. This can be relaxed in
records.config, but I personally recommend against that (particularly
if
you control the Origins, you should make sure they provide appropriate

CC information).

-- Leif

OHG mit Sitz in Oldenburg; Registergericht Oldenburg HR A 1548;

persönlich haftende geschäftsführende Gesellschafterin: Neumüller CeWe
Color Stiftung, Oldenburg
Vorstand: Dr. Rolf Hollander, Vorsitzender;
Harald H. Pirwitz, Felix Thalmann, Frank Zweigle, Dr. Michael Fries;
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Reiner Fageth,
Andreas F.L. Heydemann, Dr. Olaf Holzkämper

Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin: CeWe Color Holding AG,
Oldenburg,
Registergericht Oldenburg HR B 2956
Vorstand: Dr. Rolf Hollander, Vorsitzender;
Andreas F.L. Heydemann, Dr. Reiner Fageth, Dr. Olaf Holzkämper
Aufsichtsrat: Hubert Rothärmel, Vorsitzender

Re: Antw: Re: ATS not caching

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 09/13/2011 08:18 AM, Sascha Klose wrote:
> Thank you Leif, it works with
>
> CONFIG proxy.config.http.cache.required_headers INT 1
>
> with ATS 3.0.1
>
> But it also works with
>
> CONFIG proxy.config.http.cache.required_headers INT 2
>
> with ATS 2.1.7-unstable
>
> Very strange.

That is very strange. I'd have to see both the request and response
headers, and preferably, output from tracing traffic_server with e.g. -T
http   to even have a remote chance of understanding what is going wrong.

-- leif

Re: Antw: Re: ATS not caching

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 09/13/2011 08:18 AM, Sascha Klose wrote:
> Thank you Leif, it works with
>
> CONFIG proxy.config.http.cache.required_headers INT 1
>
> with ATS 3.0.1
>
> But it also works with
>
> CONFIG proxy.config.http.cache.required_headers INT 2
>
> with ATS 2.1.7-unstable
>
> Very strange.

Yeah, I honestly have no clue, I'd have to see full request and response
headers, or even better, you show me a remap rule, a URL to fetch, so I
can reproduce. That of course requires that the origin is reachable from
my end of the world.

-- Leif

Re: Antw: Re: ATS not caching

Posted by Sascha Klose <Sa...@cewecolor.de>.
Thank you Leif, it works with

CONFIG proxy.config.http.cache.required_headers INT 1

with ATS 3.0.1

But it also works with

CONFIG proxy.config.http.cache.required_headers INT 2

with ATS 2.1.7-unstable

Very strange.

Because of exact download statistic we need every HTTP-Request for some
downloadable files. We try to solve this problem with other mechanism in
the future.

On 09/13/2011 04:05 AM, Sascha Klose wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the same problem. Something was changed from 2.1.7-unstable
> 3.0.1. I use ATS as a reverse proxy with a cache.conf like this:

One thing that has change is the default records.config requiring
explicit Cache-Control: headers in the Origin response. You can relax
this, but I personally don't recommend it, particularly if you control

the origin. I can't think of anything else that would have changed.

-- Leif

Re: Antw: Re: ATS not caching

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Antw: Re: ATS not caching

Posted by Sascha Klose <Sa...@cewecolor.de>.
Hi,

Re: ATS not caching

Posted by "Zachary, Carlton - Hoboken" <cz...@wiley.com>.
Thank you.

I am using release 3.1.0.

On Sep 2, 2011, at 5:09 PM, "Leif Hedstrom" <zw...@apache.org>> wrote:

On 09/02/2011 10:10 AM, Zachary, Carlton - Hoboken wrote:
Thanks for the information  I have modified my Apache configuration to address this.

Thank you again.

Welcome. Let us know how it goes. I hope you are using at least v3.0.1?

-- leif

Re: ATS not caching

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

RE: ATS not caching