Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Marshall Roch <ma...@exclupen.com> on 2004/01/07 16:04:46 UTC

Doctype resolution (was Re: XInclude Problems)

phidias@mindspring.com wrote:
<snip>
> BTW: the default DOCTYPE declaration doesn't resolve properly, hence the strange URL.
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE document PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V1.2//EN" "../../../../context/resources/schema/dtd/document-v12.dtd">

Forrest doesn't care about the doctype URI; it matches the
"-//APACHE//DTD ..." part (drawing a blank to what that is called).

Are these dtds online?  If they were, Eclipse could validate my source
while I work, and stop giving me warnings, which would be really cool.

--
Marshall Roch

Re: Doctype resolution (was Re: XInclude Problems)

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Marshall Roch wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>>Why don't you use the Catalog Entity Resolver with Eclipse?
>>
>>I didn't realize such a thing exists.  I'll look into it, thanks. :)
>

> The thing is used by the core of Forrest and Cocoon.
> http://xml.apache.org/forrest/your-project.html#adding_new_content_type
> http://xml.apache.org/forrest/validation.html
>
> I don't use eclipse, so cannot help. Ditto for JEdit.

I use the Oxygen XML editor plugin in eclipse. It is not free but not
expensive (and they have an academic license -- less expensive still).
The license gets you something that runs standalone or in eclipse on
several platforms. You can assign a resolver there (or standalone, which
is slightly better). I have moved from XMLSpy (windows only) to Oxygen
(mulitplatform) and have been very happy with it (not truly ecstatic, as
with most software). You can validate with XML Schema or RNG (or the
ancient DTD, if you must...). you can setup transformations with the
aforementioned commons resolver. You can check it out for a month for
free (I have no affiliation with them):

http://www.oxygenxml.com/

best,
-Rob

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by Marshall Roch <ma...@exclupen.com>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Marshall Roch wrote:
> phidias@mindspring.com wrote:
> <snip>
> > BTW: the default DOCTYPE declaration doesn't resolve properly, hence the strange URL.
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > <!DOCTYPE document PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V1.2//EN" "../../../../context/resources/schema/dtd/document-v12.dtd">
>
> Forrest doesn't care about the doctype URI; it matches the
> "-//APACHE//DTD ..." part (drawing a blank to what that is called).
>
> Are these dtds online?  If they were, Eclipse could validate my source
> while I work, and stop giving me warnings, which would be really cool.

Why don't you use the Catalog Entity Resolver with Eclipse?

We are working towards putting the DTDs online for crappy tools
that don't bother using the resolver. However, it is not such a
straightforward issue.

--David