Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Dawid Weiss <da...@go2.pl> on 2002/05/08 08:23:50 UTC

Re: Very Newbie question: Xindice start question on WinXP

ZW> Anybody know how to start Xindice as a service on WinXP?

In  my understanding a 'service' in Windows is a program that is started at
boot  and  that  does  NOT have a console or any associated window with it.

ZW> If instead I start Xindice by typeing 'startup.bat'.
ZW> the server started sucessfully but I can never
ZW> get the DOS prompt back  if i do not shut xindice
ZW> down.

This is pretty easy though :) Try:

start startup.bat

or try typing (under cmd)

start /?

and you'll see how wonderful your Windows command processor is :)

ZW> On Unix system i just need 'nohup start &' to run
ZW> Xindice server in the background.

This  doesn't  start  a  service  in Unix either, only a background process
which ignores a particular signal.

Try the above thing with start, I think you'll like it.

Dawid