Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Xiance SI (司宪策)" <ad...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/31 06:57:27 UTC

Complains about new o.a.h.mapreduce.* APIs

Hi,

Sorry for starting a new thread. I'm facing the same problem as Ian, see the
quoted
mail below. We used 0.15.0 on our lab cluster before. Recently we are
considering
upgrading to 0.20.x, and notice the significant changes in MapReduce APIs.

To be frankly, *I think the new set of API is a step backward*. First, most
of our old
MR codes break, a lot of warnings on deprecated classes like JobConf, but no
obvious
advantage is brought by the new API. Second, the new APIs favor abstract
classes
over interfaces, see the changes in Mapper, Reducer and OutputCollector.
Lots of our
unit test cases are designed based on mock classes that implements
OutputCollector,
new API just break them all without a better solution for testing (MRUnit is
not ready now,
and it is not convenient for complex test cases) . I tried to
subclass Context, but it
was definitely not a nice experience.

Maybe this is just my case, want to hear from other users about the APIs.

Sincerely,
Xiance Si