Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Sergiusz Jarczyk <se...@qresc.com> on 2004/10/26 14:08:00 UTC

Session IDs and robots

Hi All
I'm currently working on a large webapp, powered by Struts, and I have a
serious problem with making it SE-friendly. The problem is, I don't know
how to make Struts to not attach session id (i.e. no encodeURL()) the
URL returned to visitor, in case it's a robot (i.e. googlebot). In other
words, how to make Struts to selectively disable sessions. I don't want
to disable session tracking for all visitors, as I need it for the app
logic. Any servlet filters and/or mod_rewrite solutions are not a
choice, as they don't stop Struts from generating links with the session
id attached.
Any ideas?

TIA,
Sergiusz

Re: Session IDs and robots

Posted by Christoph Kutzinski <ku...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

I would subclass LinkTag resp. RewriteTag and let them not append the
session id if the agent-name is somethink like GoogleBot or so.
I already thought about doing something like this to not create
session-id for links to css, jsp, gif files,  but I didn't have the time
until now.

HTH
Christoph

Re: Session IDs and robots

Posted by Emmanouil Batsis <Em...@eurodyn.com>.
Although others may come up with better answers, on the top of my head
the quickest and maybe clean enough way to deal with this is a servlet
filter that intercepts all requests, looks for the googlebot useragent
and invalidates the HTTP session before passing the request to the
chain. Or something like that :-)

hth,

Manos

Re: Session IDs and robots

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Theres nothing in Struts that can currently help you.

You could extend the LinkTag and override the calculateURL() method to
include your logic to either include or omit the jsessionid

Niall