Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Ashish Thusoo <at...@facebook.com> on 2010/08/25 03:56:31 UTC

[VOTE] Draft Resolution to make Hive a TLP

Folks,

I am going to make the following proposal at general@hadoop.apache.org

In summary this proposal does the following things:

1. Establishes the PMC as comprising of the current committers of Hive (as of today - 8/24/2010).

2. Proposes Namit Jain to the chair of the project (PMC chairs have no more power than other PMC members, but they are responsible for writing regular reports for the Apache board, assigning rights to new committers, etc.)

3. Tasks the PMC to come up with the bylaws for governance of the project.

Please vote on this as soon as possible(yes I should have done this as part of the earlier vote, but please bear with me), so that we can get the ball rolling on this...

Thanks,
Ashish

Draft Resolution to be sent to the Apache Board

Establish the Apache Hive Project

         open-source software related to parallel analysis of large
         data sets for distribution at no charge to the public.

         Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Hive Project",
         Foundation; and be it further

         RESOLVED, that the Apache Hive Project be and hereby is
         related to parallel analysis of large data sets; and be
         it further

         RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Hive" be
         and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
         serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
         of the Apache Hive Project, and to have primary responsibility
         for management of the projects within the scope of
         responsibility of the Apache Hive Project; and be it further

         Apache Hive Project:
             * Namit Jain (namit@apache.org)
             * John Sichi (jvs@apache.org)
             * Zheng Shao (zshao@apache.org)
             * Edward Capriolo (appodictic@apache.org)
             * Raghotham Murthy (rsm@apache.org)
             * Ning Zhang (nzhang@apache.org)
             * Paul Yang (pauly@apache.org)
             * He Yongqiang (he yongqiang@apache.org)
             * Prasad Chakka (prasadc@apache.org)
             * Joydeep Sen Sarma (jsensarma@apache.org)
             * Ashish Thusoo (athusoo@apache.org)

         NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Namit Jain
         be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Hive, to
         serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
         death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
         or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

         RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Hive PMC be and hereby is
         tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
         encourage open development and increased participation in the
         Apache Hive Project; and be it further

         RESOLVED, that the Apache Hive Project be and hereby
         Hadoop Hive sub-project; and be it further

         Hive sub-project encumbered upon the
         Apache Hadoop Project are hereafter discharged.

RE: [VOTE] Draft Resolution to make Hive a TLP

Posted by Ashish Thusoo <at...@facebook.com>.
This vote passes unanimously. Will be sending out the draft proposal to general@hadoop today.

Thanks,
Ashish