Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "bphillips@ku.edu" <bp...@ku.edu> on 2014/03/15 15:42:05 UTC

Process For Working on JIRA Tickets With Our New Git Repository

I assigned myself JIRA ticket https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-4299.
I'm not sure the correct process for working on this issue and then pushing
the code back to our Git repository.

I tried following the email chain about Git Flow but quickly got lost.  I
read through http://struts.apache.org/git-for-struts.html but I'm hoping I
don't have to install and learn a completely new Git process just to work on
a JIRA ticket.

My plan is to clone down our new Git repository, create a new branch
(ww-4299) off of the develop branch, do my work and make local commits.
Once everything is done I will merge my work into the develop branch, and
then push the develop branch changes up to our Git repository.

Is that an acceptable process for working on a JIRA ticket?

Bruce Phillips

Re: Process For Working on JIRA Tickets With Our New Git Repository

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
> I assigned myself JIRA ticket https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-4299.
> I'm not sure the correct process for working on this issue and then pushing
> the code back to our Git repository.
>
> I tried following the email chain about Git Flow but quickly got lost.  I
> read through http://struts.apache.org/git-for-struts.html but I'm hoping I
> don't have to install and learn a completely new Git process just to work on
> a JIRA ticket.
>
> My plan is to clone down our new Git repository, create a new branch
> (ww-4299) off of the develop branch, do my work and make local commits.
> Once everything is done I will merge my work into the develop branch, and
> then push the develop branch changes up to our Git repository.
>
> Is that an acceptable process for working on a JIRA ticket?

Yes, it perfectly fits in git flow - I was working for last few weeks
on adopting git flow and basically I don't see any advantages over
what you have described. Even I see some minors problems like
/features branch prefix isn't supported by git tools (problems with
autocompletion) and other small things. Quite often I had to step back
and figure out how to do perform given operation with git flow. Right
now I'm considering dropping formal git flow process (supported by
git-flow toolset) and just use simple and more accurate process.

Regards
--
Ɓukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/