Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com> on 2004/02/20 10:19:03 UTC

[vote] voting process

I think we now have enough committers to just use the standard Apache
review process, so I propose that we officially adopt the standard way:

  http://incubator.apache.org/learn/voting.html

Background: we were using a slight modification of the Apache voting
procedure in R-T-C mode (prior to joining the Apache incubator) where
two +1 votes were sufficient if there were no votes of -0 or lower plus
a 24 hour waiting period after the second +1 vote to allow a third
person a chance to review and vote.

Rationale:

   Getting two people to review something seems easier than it used to
   be.  And if code scares too many people to be reviewed by two other
   people, it's probably too complicated or the author needs to convince
   everyone that it has been extremely well-tested.

   If it's hard to get people connected with bugs to review code
   modifications, maybe we should set up a keyword for that in Bugzilla.

   Note this only changes things in R-T-C mode.  That is, it only
   significantly affects development of stable and during feature and
   code freezes prior to branching stable.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan                     anti-spam (SpamAssassin), Linux,
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/    and open source consulting

Re: [vote] voting process

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 05:49:49PM +0100, Sander Striker wrote:
> > Oooh.  Do we have to vote to change the voting procedure? ;)
>
> No, you have to decide on a voting procedure :)  But AFAICT,
> you are already doing fine without a documented procedure.
> Documenting never hurts though...

My question was more jest then anything else.  :O

We do need to get all this stuff documented somewhere though.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Euripides... Euripides pants and I'll shoot ya!

Re: [vote] voting process

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.
On Friday 20 February 2004 17:41 CET Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 05:36:36PM +0100, Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> > On Friday 20 February 2004 10:19 CET Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> > > I think we now have enough committers to just use the standard Apache
> > > review process, so I propose that we officially adopt the standard
> > > way:
> >
> > +1 -- that 24h-thingy made me forget about my patches ;)
>
> Oooh.  Do we have to vote to change the voting procedure? ;)

I think this falls under "procedural changes" :)

Cheers,
Malte

--
[SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
      <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>

RE: [vote] voting process

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

Sander

Re: [vote] voting process

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 05:36:36PM +0100, Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> On Friday 20 February 2004 10:19 CET Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> > I think we now have enough committers to just use the standard Apache
> > review process, so I propose that we officially adopt the standard way:
>
> +1 -- that 24h-thingy made me forget about my patches ;)

Oooh.  Do we have to vote to change the voting procedure? ;)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Knobs? ...  Keep it clean."            - Prof. Brown talking about faucets

Re: [vote] voting process

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.