Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Roberto Pierpaoli <pi...@dudat.it> on 2007/01/26 15:15:12 UTC

jsp:setProperty & null-values binding

Hi guys,

my name is Roberto, I work as Engineer for an Italian software-house
named "duDAT".
We do an intensive use of the JSP technology, since web applications are
our main product.
Recently we have faced a problem dealing with the JSP specifications,
more precisely with the following lines about the “setProperty” tag:

/"Sets one Bean property to a specific value. The value can be a
/|/String/|/ or an //Expression/
<http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/tags/syntaxref.fm4.html#11258>/. If
you use a /|/String/|/, it is converted to the Bean property's data
type, according to the conversion rules shown above in //TABLE 1-1/
<http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/tags/syntaxref.fm13.html#17460>/. If
you use an expression, the data type of the value of the expression must
match the data type of the Bean property. /

/_*If the parameter has an empty or null value, the corresponding Bean
property is not set. *_/

/You cannot use both the /|/param/|/ and /|/value/|/ attributes in a
/|/<jsp:setProperty>/|/ tag." /

Well, the fact the an empty value is not bound cause us some problems,
to change this behavior we have been obliged to recompile Tomcat after
changing a line in “JspRuntimeLibrary.java”. So we are wondering:

1 – if this is the only (and the cheapest) solution to our problem;

2 – the reason why this behavior is not configurable;

3 – if any change has been planned over this point.

Your feedback will be very appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Roberto and duDAT Company