Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Hutchinson <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2002/07/10 21:50:52 UTC

Re: mod_jk problem & SSL question...

I followed the how from the link in this and finaly got tomcat and apache
working.

One question now though, after compiling apache and such, how do I now
enable ssl and https on this server.  Can I add it after?  Or do I have to
recompile?

Thanks all.

Mark

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
To be honest, I skipped compiling Apache - it was there.  I saw no need
to "fix" what wasn't "broke".  However, assuming you compiled in support
for dynamic modules, you should (I believe) be able to add that on
without a great deal of problem.  SSL is something I wouldn't want to
have to install myself - every time I've looked at messing with that
piece of things I just cringe.  If possible, use something pre-existing.
 Also, there's a neat "Apache Toolkit" script out there that will, upon
your requesting a certain configuration, go download what you don't
have, compile it, and "pre-configure" it.  I haven't used it.  I just
read about it in an article I found via O'Reilly's web site.  Look for
"Apache Wrangler" - and a reference to LAMP.  The script will also snag
MySQL + Perl + Python + PHP4 -- but it said you have a choice of what to
get/install.  I'd try to find that article if I were you.  ModSSL is (If
I remember correctly) one of the things it takes care of
(download/install/pre-configure).

HTH,

Eddie