Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Karsten Krämer <kk...@california3000.de> on 2006/01/12 10:32:30 UTC

getting spamassassin learn to separate spam from ham, postfix and exchange

Hi,

we use postfix, amavisd-new, spamassassin on a linux box as relay,
exchange on server 2003 as final destination.

Which way is the best to get (ham and/or spam) mail out of user
mailboxes from exchange to linux for further "sa-learning".
Maybe there exist some Howto - we didn't manage to find them yet.

At the moment we collect the body texts in two big files and manually
learn spamassassin to separate the "good from the ugly", but in this
way all headers are lost.

Any more advanced ideas? Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Karsten

Re: getting spamassassin learn to separate spam from ham, postfix and exchange

Posted by Motoharu Kubo <mk...@3ware.co.jp>.
I would recommend Maia Mailguard.

http://www.maiamailguard.com/

Basically it is an quarantine management user interface for spam and
virus.  It also has ham cache.  Maia stores all hams/spams in its database.

User can login Maia and specify final destiny of each ham/spam.  You can
"rescue" false positive.  You can also tell Maia false negative.  All
confirmed hams/spams are used to train bayes filter and then removed
periodically (by cron job).

If you have many users and you want to minimize management effort, Maia
would help you.

> Which way is the best to get (ham and/or spam) mail out of user
> mailboxes from exchange to linux for further "sa-learning".
> Maybe there exist some Howto - we didn't manage to find them yet.

I have been using Maia for more than two years.  Previous version 0.9.5a
does have spam quarantine but doesn't have ham cache, so sa-leaning of
spam is possible but I had same problem to sa-learning.  But 1.0.0
has ham cache; it requires a fairly amount of storage, though.

Motoharu Kubo
mkubo@3ware.co.jp

Re: getting spamassassin learn to separate spam from ham, postfix and exchange

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.
Steven Stern wrote:

> 1.  I created two public folders, "should-be-spam" and "should-be-ham"
> and I semi-regularly remind users to copy (for ham) or move (for spam)
> mis-marked messages. The message that goes with spam includes a link to
> a web page explaining how to move a mis-marked spam message to the
> "should-be-spam" folder.

That should be "how to move a mis-marked spam message to the

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.
Karsten Krämer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we use postfix, amavisd-new, spamassassin on a linux box as relay,
> exchange on server 2003 as final destination.
>
> Which way is the best to get (ham and/or spam) mail out of user
> mailboxes from exchange to linux for further "sa-learning".
> Maybe there exist some Howto - we didn't manage to find them yet.
>
> At the moment we collect the body texts in two big files and manually
> learn spamassassin to separate the "good from the ugly", but in this way
> all headers are lost.
>
> Any more advanced ideas? Any help appreciated.
> Thanks
>
> Karsten

I use something kind of ugly, but it works.

1.  I created two public folders, "should-be-spam" and "should-be-ham"
and I semi-regularly remind users to copy (for ham) or move (for spam)
mis-marked messages. The message that goes with spam includes a link to
a web page explaining how to move a mis-marked spam message to the
"should-be-spam" folder.

2.  I created a user for Exchange, "sa", with access to the public folders.

3.  On one of the Linux systems that run SA, I run a script at 5 minutes
after every hour, "sa-junk"

sa-junk:
--------

#! /bin/sh
rm -f /var/spool/mail/sa
fetchmail -a -K -f /root/sa-junk.fetchmailrc -r "Public
Folders/should-be-spam"
cat /var/spool/mail/sa >> /root/should-be-spam
sa-learn --spam --mbox /root/should-be-spam
rm -f /var/spool/mail/sa
fetchmail -a -K -f /root/sa-junk.fetchmailrc -r "Public
Folders/should-be-ham"
cat /var/spool/mail/sa >> /root/should-be-ham
sa-learn --ham --mbox /root/should-be-ham

sa-junk.fetchmailrc
poll my.exchange.server with protocol imap
user sa, with password sapassword, is sa here

Periodically, I gzip the should-be-* files and move them into an archive
area.

--

   Steve