Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by we...@tigris.org on 2009/05/18 08:10:59 UTC

bulk update of attributes

Hi

I need to bulk update some attributes (svn:author and svn:externals) for all versions within a number of repositories. I am currently considering dumping the repositories and working (via scripts) on the subsequent files. This would involve updating the values and associated 'V' counts. Once happy reloading on the new server. Does this sound sensible? Any pitfalls to be aware of (i.e. encoded data, check sums, etc)?

Thanks
Mark

Re: bulk update of attributes

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 18, 2009, at 03:10, webpost@tigris.org wrote:

> I need to bulk update some attributes (svn:author and
> svn:externals) for all versions within a number of repositories.

Just to be sure we're clear, svn:author is a revision (unversioned)
property, while svn:externals is a versioned property.

> I am currently considering dumping the repositories and working
> (via scripts) on the subsequent files. This would involve updating
> the values and associated 'V' counts. Once happy reloading on the
> new server. Does this sound sensible? Any pitfalls to be aware of
> (i.e. encoded data, check sums, etc)?

I recommend not reinventing the wheel when it comes to editing
dumpfiles. Though their format is not too difficult to understand,
why risk parsing something incorrectly and not realizing it until
after it destroyed all your repository history? Just use one of the
existing tools for this job. It sounds like svndumptool may do what
you need. I have used it before to make batch changes to
svn:externals and svn:author when I was migrating a project to Google
Code.

http://svn.borg.ch/svndumptool/